“High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” swaggers its way onto Disney+

“High School Musical” is brought back to life on Disney+ with an all new series of the famous movies

Photo by Lindsey Poorman

The spotlights are shining as Disney+ airs their new take on “High School Musical.”

Story by Marlene Calderon, Co-Editor in Chief

Of all the beloved Disney Channel original movies such as Camp Rock and Lemonade Mouth, one movie stands out among the rest: High School Musical. No other Disney Channel original went to the big screen and pulled at the heartstrings of millions of fans the way that the trilogy did when it came to a close. 

When news of the series was heard, there was a sense of worry that immediately swept over dedicated fans of the musical. The possibility of anyone holding a candle to Zac Efron’s portrayal of Troy Bolton and Vanessa Hudgens’ Gabriella Montez was difficult to fathom. 

“I stopped watching after one episode because it just wasn’t the same as the movie. Although the movie and show are different, I feel like the new characters don’t live up to the original characters,” Cecilia Ngyuen (12) said. 

As the series premiered alongside the launch of the streaming service Disney+, fans were taken aback when watching the first episode. Although the series is based on Disney Channel films, it was a completely new take, and truly appeared to be the start of something new. 

When I first started watching, I didn’t think it would be good since I figured it would just be copying the movie. But I like how original the whole concept it, and I enjoy the references the show makes to the movie as well. I don’t think people should compare the show and movie since they’re so different,

— Sarah Griffith (9)

The series revolves around a group of students who are staging a production of “High School Musical,” mainly due to the fact that they attend the school where the movie was filmed. The title of the series suggests a redundant storyline, but the characters don’t follow the same arch as those of the film. 

“When I first started watching, I didn’t think it would be good since I figured it would just be copying the movie. But I like how original the whole concept it, and I enjoy the references the show makes to the movie as well. I don’t think people should compare the show and movie since they’re so different,” Sarah Griffith (9) said. 

Nini (Olivia Rodrigo) stars as the lead and explores a growth in confidence after being a permanent chorus-member of every other musical. As cliche as a love triangle may be, the love-interests are equally as endearing. Ricky (Joshua Bassett) is an undeniable favorite and not only has a charming personality, but is open with the problems he endures regarding his parent’s divorce and confronting his own feelings. 

The series has only just begun, but there is definite hope that the story will unfold in an original and refreshing way. Some moments in the show do appear to be a parody, but fans of the film will find much to appreciate while watching. Episodes are being released weekly on Disney+.