The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Sudden Rain has MHHS Students Scrambling to Figure out How Jackets Work

Photo by Chris Ornelas
Jacob Lawrence fails to put on a jacket for the rainy days. Mission Hills has been experiencing inclimate weather and many students are unprepared in dressing for the occasion. “It’s still better than a sunny day,” senior Chris Ornelas said.

Since the beginning of second semester, a sudden downpour of rain had left Mission Hills students confused as to how to stay dry during this weather. Many had missed the opportunity to wear a jacket and keep themselves warm.
“30% of people I knew wore jackets… it was mostly umbrellas,” junior Jovani Badillo said.
He even recounts that some students wore t-shirts and willingly got wet, him being one of them. Mission Hills students have a habit of not wearing jackets and they seemingly are not affected by the inclement weather. No matter how severe the weather may be, the student body stays resilient but wet.
“We suck at dressing up for the rain… we can make California a safe place for people to dress like they’re Jojo Bizzare villains,” junior Jesse Calado said.
Some people view this response to the rain as more severe than others, but the sentiment remains the same: Mission Hills is ill-prepared for the rain but looks good while doing it. The rain may keep pouring, but the Mission Hills “drip” stays consistent across the board. Jesse admits to wearing crop-top shirts even in the rain, and was confident in his look despite the rainy weather persisting further into the year. He and Jiovani like wearing their distinct style and won’t compromise for some rainy weather.
“On the heavy rain days I would cozy up, but on the lighter days I would stick to the normal crop top,” junior Zaera Beltran reports.
This only solidifies the mindset that students hold: if it won’t give you pneumonia, then it’s okay to dress how you want. Mission is unique in this regard—in being the most dedicated to our fashion identity. If a crop-top looks good, no matter how cold the temperature may be, our students are dedicated to their look.