The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Finding Harmony: The Interaction of Self-Care and School Success

Photo by Gabriela Partida
One of the ways to self-care: is pursuing hobbies, or going on a walk to refresh the mind. Freshman Diana Pauha, expresses why she practices self-care.

School can be a busy and demanding place, but it can be crucial for students to prioritize their well-being and health.
After asking some students from Mission Hills, what self-care means to them and what their best ways to self-care were, here were their responses;
“Self-care is no more than taking the time to do the things [to] you help live well to improve both your mental health and your life,” Medina said. “Most of the time I am always practicing ways to be more productive because that is mostly what self-care is, being productive while being able to take care of yourself, every day. After school I like to leave my phone aside and just check it when I need to text someone or I am bored. I don’t like using my phone after school because it distracts me from doing what I need to do like my homework and more.”
Here are some self-care tips:
1. Take time for mindfulness: Try deep breathing exercises or meditation to reduce stress or any negative feelings.
2. Get entity sleep: Aim for 8 hours of sleep each night to stay and reach focus for the rest of your day.
3. Stay active: Engage in physical activities like sports or anything that boosts your mood and energy.
4. Nourish your body: Eat nutritious meals and snacks to fuel your brain and body.
5. Pursue hobbies: Make time for activities you love, whether it’s painting, playing an instrument, or reading.
How do you currently practice self-care? What activities make you feel rejuvenated and relaxed?
These questions were asked to another student, Diana Pauha, a freshman, she responded with “Some of the ways I practice self-care is by normally going on walks, listening to soft music, and hanging out with my family or loved ones. Listening to music while going on walks always helps me. It makes me feel relaxed and it also makes me seem productive. It’s better than just sitting and being on on my phone while listening to music. I also get to walk my dog.”
By taking care of yourself, you’ll better handle school challenges and balance academic and personal life. Every student is different, they all have their own ways of self-care which makes them even more unique.