The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Power of Music

Photo by Lucy Garrity
Concerts are a common way music listeners enjoy their favorite artists on a deeper level, this is a large-scale view of a Coldplay concert in San Diego. Even from far away, the music was so loud and flooded the entire stadium. Vanessa Gomez stated, “Coldplay’s songs connect with people’s lives.”

Music is an important piece of many people’s lives, regardless of the significance. Some simply enjoy listening to music casually while running errands, while others are attached to specific songs or artists that play a role in the way they live their lives. Music brings people together, and can create bonds through particular artists or bands. Different artists popular among Generation Z will be featured in order to bring to light the brilliant lyricism and production that they bring to the music world.
SZA grabbed the world’s attention with the drop of her sophomore album, titled “Ctrl.” Solána Imani Rowe, better known as SZA, has taken over the genre of R&B. Additionally, her album titled “SOS” captured her fans’ attention even more with its perfect balance of sentimental lyrics and upbeat tracks. SZA is notorious for lyricism that hits her listeners right in the feels. On her song “Special”, SZA speaks her truth through the lyrics, “I used to be special/But you made me hate me/Regret that I changed me/I hate that you made me just like you.” Her transparency about her emotions is also clearly seen in “Ctrl.” In her song “20 Something”, she expresses, “Honesty hurts when you’re getting’ older.” SZA’s biggest fans report her ability to speak on topics society struggles to bring to light. One of her active listeners, Vanessa Gomez, shares her experience listening to SZA.
“Her music is very heartfelt and relatable,” Gomez said. “My favorite song is Nobody Gets Me, because I’ve never felt like somebody completely understands me, and it’s cool to know that someone else feels the same.”
Another artist that has stolen the hearts and ears of listeners is Jermaine Lamarr Cole, commonly referred to as J. Cole. Cole is well-known for his melodic rapping and meaningful bars. Cole has many hit songs, one of which is titled “Love Yourz.” This song features the key lyric, “No such thing as a life that’s better than yours,” which continues to speak to listeners since its release date of December 9, 2014.
Presley Delgado is a dedicated listener of Cole’s. When asked why he is so passionate about listening to Cole, he provided an insightful answer.
“The lyrics that Cole provides gives me a sense of euphoria compared to other modern-day musicians. His music has impacted my life in many ways, one of which being keeping my mindset positive in times of darkness,” Delgado said.
SZA and J. Cole are just two artists that have been speaking to listeners through their relatable and raw lyrics. Others include Noah Kahan, Brent Faiyaz, Zach Bryan, and more. These new generation artists are taking the music world by storm.