The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Journaling: Clear Your Mind and Experience Peace

Photo by Clara Byrne
All one needs is a pen and paper to start journaling.

In this bustling world, it can be difficult to take time for oneself to truly relax and be in a state of peace. However, with just a piece of paper and a pencil, it can be made so much easier through journaling!
Journaling is an escape, a recluse from the chaotic world which is constantly battling for one’s attention. Through keeping a journal, one has the opportunity to channel their scrambled-up feelings onto paper, instilling a sense of order in their life. Think of it like this; one’s mind can sometimes be like static, black and white scribbles but when one writes these messed-up feelings onto a piece of paper, the static feeling will go away and they will be left with a calm feeling of peace and reassurance. The storm has been stilled, and the knots have been untangled.
“Journaling makes me stable,” said Leslie Adame, freshman. “I like sketching on the pages, and having control.”
This is not just an assumption, journaling has been scientifically proven to decrease stress and treat depression and anxiety, and many therapists recommend this cathartic activity to their patients. The truth is, that school and social lives can be stressful, leaving students with mixed-up feelings and feelings of loneliness. Some may even be experiencing depression and anxiety, or fear for the future.
“When I journal, I like writing out my emotions, and it helps me feel less angry,” commented freshman Bella Torres.
While journaling cannot solve all mental health issues (please talk to a professional if you are in need of help!), it will be incredibly helpful to instill this habit of writing down your thoughts, rather than just bottling everything up inside.
“Journaling can help you identify fears or concerns that may be causing you stress or anxiety, recognize triggers that exacerbate feelings of stress, manage your stress more efficiently in the future, practice positive self-talk to build your confidence, and identify and reduce unhelpful thoughts and behaviors.” wrote Emilia Benton, wellness journalist, in an article for Psych Central.
So, after reviewing why journaling can help mental health and clear one’s mind, let’s begin to discuss how one journals! However, to tell the truth, there is no one correct way! Journaling is completely a personal experience, and it is all up to the journalist themself how they would like to express their feelings on paper. These are just a few of the many methods of journaling that are most popular — but always remember to be true to oneself and think about what will work best personally.
Journaling has no rules, of course; so, one of the most useful methods is just a simple brain dump. Write whatever is on one’s mind, with no regards to how messy their handwriting might be looking or proper punctuation and grammar. Just get all those thoughts out onto paper! If one would like more structure, however, they can go for a bullet journal approach. This consists of making to-do lists, goals that they have, writing down happy memories that they made, and anything else that will help them keep on track of their life.
For a more artistic approach, one can make a collage journal, also referred to as an art journal. This is similar to creating a vision board or a scrapbook, with drawings and pictures to create visually beautiful pages that reflect one’s thoughts.
Journaling can be incredibly beneficial, and it takes only a positive attitude to get started. Whether it is just five minutes a day or a long, in-depth catch up session, journaling will bring in good energy and help one to clear that static mind and make one’s heart beautiful.