The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Balancing School and Work is Tough: Tips to Be Successful

Photo by Lizzy Aguilar
Balancing school and work can be tough, but prioritizing tasks, practicing self-care, creating a schedule, seeking help when needed, and adjusting accordingly can help manage the challenge effectively. “My way of balancing all of it is by making sure my availability for work is spread out, so I’m not working every single day” junior Zaera Beltran said.

In today’s society, many students find themselves struggling with the responsibilities of school and work. This balancing act can often be draining and overwhelming as it demands time, energy and determination. However, with the right strategies in place, students can successfully navigate through these challenges and find harmony between their educational and professional commitments.
“When I manage my time between work and school, it was very difficult at first. I managed it by dropping my sixth period so I can have at least an hour and a half before I have to go to work…There was a time when I had to work three days straight and each day I’d come to school exhausted and falling asleep in class, but now I can request days off to have more energy for school,” senior Samantha Dahl said.
For starters, students can create a schedule that includes all their classes, assignment deadlines, and work shifts. If people prioritize tasks based on urgency and importance, then they can optimize their time management skills, making each moment count. Students can also leverage technology and online tools to strengthen productivity and take advantage of it. Utilizing apps like calendar apps, task managing apps and Notion can help with setting reminders and track the progress of each task.
“Personally, my way of balancing all of it is by making sure my availability for work is spread out, so I’m not working every single day. On days I work after school, I’d rather do urgent assignments after I get home or push them to the next day,” junior Zaera Beltran said.
Another approach is to avoid procrastination. Recognizing that procrastination can derail a student’s academic and professional progress, students can adopt strategies to overcome this hurdle and break down big tasks into small chunks that are easier to manage, while also setting deadlines for completion of each small task.
Lastly, the practice of self-care plays a big role in how well a person can balance their work and school. Self-care is important in maintaining a healthy life in general. Getting regular exercise, enough sleep, and moments of relaxation are completely okay to do. Students must understand that taking care of oneself ultimately enhances their efficiency, focus, and overall health.
Balancing the rigors of school and work is undoubtedly a harsh challenge but far from impossible to manage. By following the examples mentioned, it is possible to strike a harmonious balance between academic aspirations and professional responsibilities. Through effective time management, using technology, combating procrastination and practicing self-care, students can successfully navigate the multifaceted demands of both worlds, gaining personal growth and academic excellence along the way.