The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Students Discuss the Top Budget-Friendly Vehicles for High Schoolers to Buy

Photo by Karen Huerta Mendoza
Allen Guzman poses near his car, and it is evident that it is modified. He has the front hood open and is showing his engine. He’s excited to go to a car meet. “Its a leap of faith,” Guzman said.

At Mission Hills, students have many ways of transportation, some of which are biking, walking, and riding the bus, but the most popular of all of them is driving to school in their very own car. One can see that many students own very small vehicles because they are very affordable to them and easy to manage.
Allen Guzman, a senior at Mission Hills who has a Honda Civic shared his experience on his affordable car.
“My Honda is a very smooth-driving car. I have modified it like eight times already, and I bought it for $4000 a year ago and with a good mileage on it. [I] found this car on Offerup,” said Guzman. “I’ve put another 1000 miles on it and have taken it to LA; I would say this is a good, affordable car for a high schooler to start off with and make memories in.”
In addition, another student here at Mission Hills, Christian Paz, shared his opinion on the most affordable cars for a high schooler to own.
“I own a Toyota Corolla and have had it since junior year. I’ve driven it almost everywhere in San Diego County, and it has [140,000] miles. [I’ve] made so many interior changes and have had no problems with the engine and gas,” said Paz. “I spent so little on gas, and I drive it almost everywhere. I need to share this experience with others to show how affordable cars do the same thing as an expensive car. I spent about $3500 and found it on the Facebook marketplace. I made sure that it was going to be money well spent.”
In summary, the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic are some of the top picks for high schoolers shopping for cars in the $3000-$4000 range. They provide reliability, fuel efficiency, and safety, making them great choices for young drivers. Just be sure to check the car’s condition and history before buying!