The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #12: Nathan Young

Photo by Nathan Young
Senior Nathan Young prepares for his final season playing tennis here at Mission Hills. “We have a team warm-up and a group huddle, and I’ll give a motivational speech of some kind,” said Young.

For the twelfth Athlete of the Week, the Silvertip has selected Nathan Young, a senior who has played tennis his junior and senior years of high school. Young, enthusiastically looking forward to the future, takes in these final moments he has representing the Grizzlies by playing tennis.
When reminiscing on what his most memorable moment was during these two years playing tennis, Young responded with zeal, remembering a match he played his junior year against a competitor from La Costa Canyon.
“[It’s] actually my biggest loss; in tennis, you have to win six games in a set to win the set, so I was up 5-0 and then I lost six straight games to lose the set,” said Young.
This memorable moment for Young allowed him to continue training and only furthered his desire to get better at his craft. When asked about his greatest accomplishment, Young responded thoughtfully once again.
“[It’s been] just improving my game overall, because when I first started, I had never played before,” Young said. “[Also,] being able to see how far I have come in terms of just hitting shots consistently and trying to just think about the game more,” Young continued.
In addition to this, when it comes to celebrating the team’s victory, Young knows how to have a good time.
“We always have a team dinner or something, In-N-Out is pretty popular [and] Chick-fil-A too. One time we went to a Korean barbeque,” Young said.
Young never took the moments he spent with his friends and teammates for granted. These past two years have been nothing but memorable for Young during his pursuit of tennis representing the grizzly family of Mission Hills. Young plans on continuing in his academic prowess and majoring in business at San Jose State University in the fall.