The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Lifting Weights: Physical, Mental Effects

Photo by Dane Hanlon
A busy LA fitness is full after school hours, where many students go to workout. “I love to go with my friends, because the workout is more productive,” said freshman Andrei Hilario.

Lifting weights and going to the gym is one of the biggest trends in modern day social media and culture. However, despite its recent blowup in popularity, it has long been used as a tool for mental and physical growth and therapy. Students attending school find peace, mental clarity and physical development through the gym, which helps to combat the stresses of high school.
“Lifting weights at the gym has really helped me with pretty much all areas of my life,” said freshman James Melena in relation to the stresses of taking two honors classes and a dual enrollment class.
Going to the gym can especially help with academics, too. Because one is getting their energy out in a positive way, they feel relaxed and have a growth mindset when they return to school. Working out enables a high level of mental clarity as well, allowing someone to think straight in high-stress situations.
“I’ve gotten stronger physically and mentally. I’ve learned to stick to hobbies and trust the process. At the same time, I’m able to lift more weight and run faster and longer,” said freshman Lucas Adkins.
Lifting weights also shows discipline and commitment as well as teaches people how to stick to something for a long time. This could apply to students at school, because they may have to keep to a long term goal, like reading a book or doing a project.
“You could injure yourself, though. For example, you could pull or tear a muscle, which is annoying if you’re doing a sport,” freshman and dual-sport athlete Zofia Dowd said.
Going to the gym and lifting weights has a very common and obvious drawback, being that you can easily injure yourself if you’re improperly prepared. This is especially bad for student athletes because they are already doing something physically active and they need to be rested and healthy.
Lifting weights, overall, is a smart lifestyle choice and habit for students dealing with the stress of school; it encourages mental and physical development if done properly and can aid in one’s general health.