The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Urgency to Hire a New Athletic Trainer

Photo by Maddy Donlon
Payton Aleksandrian shows off her MHHS soccer hoodie as she plays on the freshman soccer team. She loves her sport but the unavailable trainer makes her question her safety on the field. “I wish we had a stable trainer so I know I can give my all on the field.”

Athletes at Mission Hills High School are in need of a new athletic trainer. After the former athletic trainer, Leeya Sturdevant, decided to leave Mission Hills, athletes have been in a pickle, trying to turn in clearance packets and paperwork and dealing with injuries.
Along with that, this may affect the confidence of players in games, as now they don’t have a trained adult ready in case of emergency.
After hearing about this, many students were confused as to why the trainer left in the first place, rather than focusing on the importance of how and when they are going to get a new one.
Freshman Girls Soccer player Payton Aleksandrian says, “It is very frustrating how there isn’t a trainer to be there when players or even myself gets injured; it’s an unsettling feeling knowing no one at the games or on our campus is specifically trained as she was to help us when we would need it.”
As is evident, this can make players feel “unsettled”—the fact there is really no one available anymore. Knowing these facts, it is clear that this is a problem that should be urgently fixed. Those sports may be very physical and there really should be access to a trainer.
Junior Girls Lacrosse player Cassie Horan says, “It makes me feel uncomfortable because the trainer is gone and we don’t have a stable one to go to for injuries or just basic paperwork. It frustrates me and I’m worried that I won’t feel as confident to give it my all when I’m on the field because I won’t be able to count on anyone being there to really help me if something were to happen,”
Horan says, “I’m hoping this will be fixed soon so I can be confident in my sport.” Students share that they aren’t feeling safe and the fact there isn’t a stable trainer on hand during their sports makes them uncomfortable.