The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #13

Photo by Alumni Evie Kinney
Junior, Keala Custodio is full of excitement as she prepares for the big game. Before every game, Custodio wears the same pair of pants in order to play to the fullest!

For the thirteenth Athlete of the Week, the Silvertip has selected Keala Custodio. Custodio is a student-athlete in her junior year, representing the Mission Hills Girls Lacrosse team. She is not only an incredible athlete on the field but also a responsible student who challenges herself in the classroom.
Student-athletes at Mission Hills must maintain at least a 2.0 unweighted grade point average to participate in extracurricular and cocurricular events. However, Custodio doesn’t settle for the bare minimum. She has an unweighted 4.0 GPA and an incredible 4.8 weighted GPA.
“I’m taking 4 AP’s this year on top of Spanish 3 Honors,” said Junior Custodio. “My AP’s are AP Bio, AP Calc, APUSH and AP Lang,” Custodio continued.
With all these AP courses Cutodio is taking, balancing them out can be a handful at times. To help manage her time, Custodio takes Personal Finance in order to complete her assignments. When taking 4 AP classes and Spanish 3 Honors, it can be interesting to see which class is the most challenging. For Custodio, that class is between AP Bio and AP Calc.
“Throughout the whole year, it’s definitely AP Bio, but now that we are taking AP exams I’m kind of like AP Calc,” said Junior Custodio.
Custodio has a busy week ahead of her with both the AP Calc and AP Bio exams taking place. The AP Calc exam was held first thing in the morning Monday May 13. Custodio will then have to shift her focus to the AP Bio exam in the afternoon on Thur. May 16. Custodio’s future is bright as she continues to challenge herself on and off the field. Still one more year left before graduating, Custodio has verbally committed to further an academic and athletic career at the University of Alabama Huntsville.