The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Reading: The Benefits for Students

Photo by Lola Sisler
Freshman Layla Tran studies for her biology quiz by reading a textbook. By not using her phone she reaps the most benefits and sets herself up for success. “I didn’t used to like reading. But once I got into it I couldn’t stop,” says Tran.

Reading tends to be surrounded by dislike. Few people genuinely enjoy the activity, while most would rather watch the movie version or play video games. Students in particular aren’t known for their love of reading, especially for school, but reading isn’t always as bland and boring as it seems.
“I didn’t used to like reading,” freshman Layla Tran said. “But once I got into it, I couldn’t stop.”
Tran expresses her love for thriller and mystery books, saying that one of her favorite books is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.
Many students are used to saying they don’t like reading, even if they truly don’t know. Not only is reading beneficial for the brain, it also provides a great source of entertainment. Everything under the sun can be found in a book. Many just haven’t found their favorite genre yet and are stuck trying to read something they aren’t interested in.
“It’s always been a hobby of mine, even as I was growing up. I tried other things, but I always came back to my favorite stories in the end,” freshman Gianna Gabbour said.
Reading helps students with school too. Grammar, spelling and comprehension are all things that reading improves. Lessons are often hidden in books, and reading presents the opportunity to see different perspectives and learn things one may never have had access to otherwise. Instead of watching TV, playing video games, or “rotting away” on social media, it is beneficial to try and implement reading into life. No matter the genre—science fiction, romance, fantasy, mystery, et cetera—all reading is beneficial.
Freshman Militsa Paul also loves to read. She started with Harry Potter by JK Rowling when she was younger, saying she learned the fundamental basics of reading and discovered her love for reading about different worlds.
“Reading is my favorite thing to do after school,” Paul said. “I get home, make a snack, and bury my nose in a good book. It’s so relaxing for me.”
Reading is a way to learn new things, stay entertained, and meet loveable characters. Students should lean on reading more often; it has more benefits than one may think.