“Heartstopper”changes the game for queer representation in media

The romance between the primary characters of the series, Nick and Charlie, has melted audience’s hearts worldwide.

Photo by Netflix

“Heartstopper” has gained instant popularity, becoming a regularly watched show on Netflix.

A new and popular TV series, “Heartstopper,” was released on April 22. All eight episodes of the popular series are currently on Netflix. Based on the book series of the same name written by Alice Oseman, it portrays a story of a queer teen romance mainly between the two characters Charlie Spring and Nick Nelson.
“I really loved the show, especially because of how heartwarming it is, capturing the awkwardness of teens while highlighting the deep genuine connection between two very different characters. The contrast between Nick discovering his identity and Charlie feeling as if he was losing his own highlights the internal struggles high schoolers experience. […],” sophomore Italya Lewis said.
The show is based on the book series, which has been adored by its fans for many years. It has been praised for its LGBTQ+ representation with multiple characters in the story. It’s no surprise that the popular book series would one day get its own TV show as well. One thing people love is how relatable the characters and setting is.
“I think it’s [Nick and Charlie’s relationship] portrayed well. It’s good Charlie is not pushing Nick to come out. The relationship is more natural and seems like it would happen. I think it does [portray an accurate high school]. Obviously there’s a difference in culture since theirs is in the UK while ours is different which a lot of us don’t have experience with. Overall it gives a good portrayal of high school,” senior Charlotte Nite said.
Of course, that’s not the only reason why people love the show. The plot was engaging, and the setting and the characters, whether it’s the main or side characters, were well developed in the show.
“I really like the series. There’s not a lot of LGBTQ+ rep without alcohol or sex. It’s so clean and wholesome,” Nite said.
The show has a lot of positive LGBTQ+ representation in their show. From their queer and trans characters, “Heartstopper” gives representation that is done overall in such a positive way. Many queer people can relate to the high points and struggles growing up queer in high school. There is also no stereotypes or stigmas in how their queer representaion was made. It’s just another romance story which a lot of people, LGBTQ+ or not, can enjoy.
“I wanna add I do also like the characters are not over the top attractive. They are, but it wasn’t unnatural so they looked more like real people. Also, they didn’t have the trans woman look super masculine. She is just a woman. It was super nice,” Nite said.
“Heartstopper” also appeals to a wide variety of audiences, attracting the attention of older fans who have read the book before, while also being made in a way where new people can enjoy the series.
“I think, the way they did it they appealed to youth without being forceful, it is just such a relatable topic and storyline, and seeing young people going through that journey, I think it’s really important, and them being happy, it’s rare to see an LGBTQ+ story that has a happy ending,” junior Sarah Griffith said.
New fans can also tune in the show and be just as entertained. The series has overall left such a huge impact in many people’s hearts and is overall a compelling show to watch. All episodes of the first season are currently released on Netflix.