News recap for February 1, 2019

Your weekly recap on all things news.

Story by Mitra Zarinebaf, News Editor

• Cory Booker, a Democratic Senator from New Jersey, has announced his run for presidency early this morning. He is one of many Democrats running in what is sure to be a very crowded and carefully watched race.
  • The Midwest became as cold as Antarctica and some parts of Mars this past week. A low of 56 below zero and wind chills of 77 below zero have been reported. There have been more than 20 deaths from cold-related medical emergencies, such as hypothermia and frost bite.
  • A dam in Brazil failed on Jan. 25, letting “toxic sludge,” burying homes, the facility owning the dam and public spaces, along with over 300 people, 110 of those who are confirmed dead. The cause of the 12 million cubic meter spill is unknown but many believe it could be a source of liquidation of the wall.
  • A teacher of Orange Glen High School in Escondido has been arrested on child-molest charges. None of the victims were students of Orange Glen or of the Escondido United School District.
  • President Donald Trump dismissed reports of growing threats by official intelligence chiefs last week. The CIA director and others stated that the government should take precautions against ISIS, North Korea, Iran, Russia and China. This comes after Trump asserted that ISIS was no longer a threat and almost a year after he ended the mutual Iran Nuclear Deal.
  • On Friday, Feb. 1, the Trump Administration suspended a Cold War nuclear treaty with Russia. The United States believed that Russia had violated the treaty and they will begin to create their own military response options.
  • Florida is becoming a trailblazer in a new world of eco-friendly energy systems. The Flower & Power Light Company plans to install more than 30 million solar panels by 2030. After its completion, it will be the largest owner and operator of solar power in America.