Tutors 4 Tots: A free online tutoring program founded by seniors Alix Kaplan and Kaitlyn Mata

Remote learning has made it difficult for students to stay on track with their learning, Tutors 4 Tots allows students to get the help they need by providing free tutoring.

Photo by Courtesy of Alix Kaplan and Kaitlyn Mata

Seniors Alix Kaplan (left) and Kaitlyn Mata (right) founded Tutors 4 Tots as a way to aid their community amidst the pandemic.

Seniors Alix Kaplan and Kaitlyn Mata strive to make an impact on those who are underprivileged in our community, in the hopes that all students are given the opportunity to receive tutoring. After witnessing the effect that transitioning to remote learning has had on their family members, especially onto their younger ones, Kaplan and Mata felt that they should help others by creating a new club, Tutors 4 Tots.
“We created Tutors 4 Tots as a way to aid our community, especially during these trying times. We really wanted to help the youth of our community so that they could continue to excel in school[,] as we witnessed first hand the struggle with the virtual transition,” Kaplan (12) said.
The two worked weeks, collaborating together and with administrators to develop this tutoring program and promote it. The club advertised for tutors and students in need through their instagram, flyers at food distributions, and — more recently — through Peachjar.
“One of our biggest accomplishments is the amount of tutors we have[,] and how many high school students have signed up for our club. We worked hard to promote the club and to make it a community service opportunity,” Mata (12) said.
Tutors 4 Tots offers free, unlimited, 30 minute one-on-one online tutoring for students in the San Marcos Unified School District grades K-8. Instead of being tutored each week, there is the option to select tutoring on a monthly basis. Students can get help on homework, class assignments, or have their questions answered on a specific subject. Each student is matched with tutors who feel strong in teaching that specific area.
“I joined Tutors 4 Tots because I really wanted to help younger students excel in school, especially as we are all online this year. I know a lot of kids are struggling, and I want to help them get through it,” SeRi McMahon (10) said.
Parents can sign their students up by joining the Tutors 4 Tots Google Classroom by using their child’s SMUSD account and code wgpg4md. Once enrolled, a form can be filled out; this will help students sign up for tutoring sessions, either to be tutored each week or to opt for monthly meet ups.
Tutors have the opportunity to earn community service hours for each session they tutor, while helping elementary or middle school students adjust to remote learning in the process. Sign ups are still open; if interested, DM @mhhstutors4tots, and join the Remind by texting @mhhst4t to 81010.