The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

How MHHS Students Relax After School

Photo by Sophia Kothe
Candles are a good way to get into a zen mood and relax. “Whenever I want to just relax and feel peace, I always light some candles for nice lighting and for it to smell nice,” freshman Barbara Palafox said.

After a long day of being at school and learning, it can be difficult for some students to have some time for themselves. A few ways to relax after school are taking a hot shower or napping.
“I enjoy laying down and eating and then taking a warm shower,” freshman Anabelle Prado said.
Taking a warm shower can be relaxing for many students and can make them feel more refreshed. This can also ease any anxiety or stress, and can reduce fatigue. The Swaddle conducted research about the benefits of taking hot showers.
“Research suggests that hot showers alleviate anxiety as a result of the heat prompting our brains to release oxytocin — a “happy hormone” — which, in turn, reduces stress,” The Swaddle states.
When coming home from school many students like to take a nap or go to sleep early. This can help them feel less tired the next day or help them get some extra energy before studying or doing homework. The National Institution of Health (NIH) completed a study on how napping after learning is beneficial.
“…retention of factual knowledge was significantly greater after an hour spent napping,” The NIH.
While all of these are good strategies to feel relaxed, how are these affected when students have after school activities or things that get in their way of having time for themself.
Some students have mixed feelings about whether or not it is important to take time to get into a posture of being at ease. Others feel it is very necessary to take extra time for self care and reflection. Junior Maddy Donlon claims that having set aside time to focus on yourself is not required to not feel uptight.
“I don’t do anything specific or take extra time out of my day and I still feel relaxed,” Maddy Donlon said.
There are numerous ways students find a way to feel the most relaxed and at ease after a long day of learning at school. Students should consider trying a new method of taking some quiet time for themself.
“Taking time after school to relax helps me because it gives me time to reset my mind and have a new fresh start for the next day,” Paige Umemura said.