The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #10: Gavyn Golub

Photo by Alex Vigil
Gavyn Golub holding the Ogden Cup trophy after beating rivals San Marcos

The tenth Silvertip Athlete of the Week is none other than senior Gavyn Golub. Golub played on the freshman soccer team his freshman year, and after a summer of working hard and relentlessly training, he made the varsity soccer team his sophomore year. As a three-year varsity soccer player and hard-working AP student, Golub has exceptional qualities that contributed to his selection for Athlete of the Week.
Golub plays defensive center mid, a demanding and strenuous position that requires a lot of control on the field. When asked about his favorite part of playing, he had an insightful answer.
“The practices,” Golub said. “When we have to take it serious, we take it serious.”
Golub commented that his team had good times throughout their focused practices and training as well. He said the balance between “locking in” and “chilling out” is what made his team special. This balance, along with the chemistry between him and his teammates, makes the Mission Hills Soccer team especially unique to Golub.
Before his games, Golub said he typically does not eat anything because it “makes [him] slower.” However, his one commonality was drinking an energy drink before his games—usually Celsius.
Golub was asked about teammates that he considered to be family, but he couldn’t pick just a few.
“They’re all family; it’s like a brotherhood,” Golub said.
Golub is also a dedicated student, and he takes AP classes, such as AP Seminar, to set himself up for success off the field.
“Our [soccer] practices were at night, so I would go home and try to get my work done before practice, and by doing that, I was pretty successful,” Golub said.
He noted that by staying on track and getting as much done as he could before he had to work hard at practice, he maintained his GPA.
Golub’s favorite MHHS soccer memory came from this past season, when he and his team won the second game of the Ogden Cup and beat their rivals, San Marcos High School, securing the Ogden Cup for Mission Hills for the first time in eight years.
Outside of MHHS soccer, Golub plays for City SC San Marcos. He enjoys going to the gym and hanging out with friends and family. Golub said his family supports him by going to most of his soccer games. After high school, Golub plans on attending Miracosta College to play soccer. He has aspirations to be an electrician.