The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #8: Karisma Coloyan

Photo by Holly Ireland
Karisma striking a pose for her media day pictures.

The eighth Silvertip Athlete of the Week is junior Karisma Coloyan. Although only a junior, Coloyan has been dancing for 13 years. Coloyan has gotten first place in the last three competitions for her solos, and she is a Co-Captain on the Mission Hills Varsity Dance Team. As a dedicated student-athlete and captivating performer, Coloyan is a perfect selection for featuring the Mission Hills Dance Program.
Coloyan’s favorite part about dance is performing.
“The games and especially football and basketball games,” Coloyan said.
The rush of performing, especially in front of an audience with all of the lights, makes dance a special sport to her.
When asked about her pre-performance meal, she provided an immediate answer that was similar to her teammate, Linnea Bourne.
“A solid acai bowl,” she said.
As a captain on the MHVDT, Coloyan is a leader for the program. When asked what makes Mission Hills’ team so special, she was passionate about her love for the coaching staff.
“They’re very supportive of us, and I think they push us to be the best,” Coloyan said.
Dance isn’t the only thing Coloyan excels at. As an AP student who takes her academics very seriously, balance is key between dance and school.
“Honestly, I really like to go to tutoring, because I think it’s a really good time to ask questions—but I also feel more productive in a one-on-one environment with the teacher,” Coloyan said.