The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #7: Katie Bishop

Photo by Holly Ireland
Katie Bishop on her media day

The seventh Athlete of the Week chosen by Silvertip staff is sophomore Katie Bishop. Katie is a varsity dancer, and has been on the Mission Hills Varsity Dance Team for both of her years here at MHHS. Bishop has been dancing since she was three years old, and has brought many accolades to Mission Hills’ dance team. Bishop has received third place for her solo three times this year, and was a semi-finalist at Nationals. Outside of Mission Hills dance, she was recognized as Artist of the Year for Nationals.
Bishop’s favorite part of dance is all about the environment it creates and the “close friend group” she can talk to all the time. She shared that she is comfortable with her teammates, and this makes the Mission Hills Dance program so special.
When asked what the most difficult aspect of dance is, Bishop shared the same answer as her teammate Linnea Bourne.
“The long practices,” Bishop stated. She also said that the constant balance between her schoolwork and dance can be very challenging. Time management proves to be difficult due to the time-consuming nature of dance.
Bishop’s favorite style of dance is pom, and her favorite meal to eat before a big competition varies heavily. When asked what she eats before her performances, Bishop stated either nothing or Chick-fil-A.
The Mission Hills Dance team proves to be a tight-knit group of dancers. Bishop was asked about teammates she considered family, and her immediate answer was “all of them.”
Bishop is not currently a captain on the Mission Hills, but she shared that she is trying out to earn a captain sport next year. She balances school and dance by attempting to complete all of her schoolwork while in class. If not, her methods are relatively tedious.
“I stay up til like 11:00 doing homework,” Bishop shared. Her dedication to her schoolwork and extreme commitment to dance makes Bishop a true Silvertip Athlete of the Week.

View Comments (1)