The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

How to Glow Up in 2024, Mentally and Physically

Photo by Clara Byrne
Healthy habits for 2024, include getting enough rest and picking up new hobbies.

The new year brings opportunities for change, self-improvement, and life lessons—as well as that extensive glow-up many may have been planning. While lots of people can’t wait to become their best self physically in 2024, it is important to remember to also focus on a mental glow-up. With mental health tips from school counselor Mrs. Baker, this is a how-to guide on blossoming into the best version of oneself this year.
The first and most important step on a glow-up journey is to prioritize mental health. When the school day gets busier and academics get harder, it can be easy to become a working machine, without regard to how one is feeling.
“First and foremost, prioritize self-care. Just as you wouldn’t neglect physical health, your mental well-being deserves attention,” said school counselor Mrs. Baker. “Make time for activities that recharge you, whether it’s exercise, hobbies or simply taking moments to relax and unwind.”
Even if it is just an hour of relaxing and watching a favorite show or taking the time to do a face mask in the evening, the act of slowing down—of setting aside the time—will be a game-changer in becoming the best version of oneself.
Luckily, with stable mental health, physical health will also improve. Even when constantly going to the gym or always going to the salon, if one does not have a confident and stable attitude, then they will just be still the same tired, overworked person—just with a new haircut. However, making healthy habits that will not be too forceful will help produce a physically tangible glow-up. This can come through just going on a brisk walk every day or going to the gym a couple times a week. Listening to one’s body and having rest days is incredibly important.
Lastly, invest time into self-love. If life seems to be just school, eat and sleep five days a week with nothing to look forward to, then pick up a new hobby to work on throughout the year. Buy some yarn, and start crocheting. Join a new club here at school. Make plans with friends and family to look forward to.
“Find activities that recharge you, whether it’s spending time with loved ones, engaging in hobbies, or simply taking a few moments each day to breathe and reflect,” said Baker. “By practicing self-care, seeking support, managing your time effectively, maintaining perspective and seeking professional help when needed, you can find balance and thrive both academically and mentally.”
When someone is happy and fulfilled, people will be able to see the glow—and 2024 has just begun, with the entire year open wide and full of possibilities for authenticity.