The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #6: Jack Jillson

Jack Jillson posing for his media day picture.
Photo by Heather Cleaves

The Silvertip has selected two students for Athlete of the Week this week. Along with Lindsey Jones, Jack Jillson has also been chosen for his leadership on the Mission Hills Boys Basketball team. Jillson is a point guard for the Grizzlies, and he has been on varsity since his freshman year. He was just recently announced as the Palomar League player of the year, and he is serving as a captain for the Grizzlies this year. Averaging 15.5 points a game this season, Jillson is a perfect selection for this week’s Athlete of the Week.
Jillson wears number 5, and when asked why, his answer was arguably unconventional.
“I like doing things five times,” Jillson said.
He also has an interesting routine before playing in his games. On the drive to his games, he is accompanied by a particular artist.
“I listen to Adele to lock in before a game,” Jillson said.
He also stated that he doesn’t listen to music once he steps into the gym to play, but Adele gets him hyped on the way there. His favorite song happens to be “Someone Like You” by Adele. However, Jillson doesn’t have any lucky rituals.
“I’m actually not superstitious at all,” Jillson said.
Jillson started basketball during second grade in a recreational league with Jake Bishop, his current teammate and one of his best friends today. Bishop and teammate Bradley McGlothlin are two of Jillson’s closest on the team and best friends outside of basketball.
Jillson is passionate about his team, and states that his “teammates and coaches” motivate him to “be the best teammate possible.” His biggest accomplishment as a Mission Hills basketball player is winning league in his sophomore and senior seasons.
Jillson’s support system is another factor that contributes to his success.
“My family, including my grandparents, is at about every single basketball game,” Jillson said. “I really have a great support system.”
The Boy’s Basketball team just finished their regular season, placing first in their league. They play their first round of Open Division Playoffs against Montgomery High School on Saturday. Jillson says he is excited to get another shot at playing Montgomery and is hoping to pull off a win that would be “the upset of the year.”
Jillson also enjoys golf on the side, and plans on playing for Mission Hills after his basketball season is over. Outside of golf and basketball, he likes “hanging out with friends and working out.”
As a result of all his hard work and determination, Jillson was recently named All-Palomar League Player of the Year for the 2024 season. There’s no doubt he will continue to succeed in performing at the next level.
After high school, Jillson plans on playing college basketball while studying business. Come support Jack and the rest of the Boy’s Basketball team this Saturday at Montgomery High School.