The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #4 – Riley Noonan

Photo by Calee Leavitt
Riley Noonan getting ready to serve.

This week’s Silvertip Athlete of the Week is junior Riley Noonan. Noonan is a volleyball player and stellar student. She stated that volleyball runs in her family: everyone on her dad’s side plays volleyball, along with her brother. Although it started as a family thing, Noonan stated that her passion for volleyball grew through herself as well. However, the reality of being a student athlete can be bittersweet. Noonan shared that her passion for volleyball faded before she entered high school when she quit playing for her club team.
“I play [because of] the team now,” Noonan said.
Leeya Tyra-Crouch and Quinlan Gruman are not only teammates to Noonan, but also two of her very best friends. Noonan also stated that she plays for the seniors.
“From my freshman year, my sophomore year, and my junior year, they’re like mentors. They teach you things you didn’t know before and help you with whatever you need,” Noonan said.
When asked about her plans for the future, Noonan explained that she is aiming big.
“I wanna win league and CIF next year, because we did that this year and that was the first time that’s ever been done [for volleyball] here. I think it’ll be a little bit harder because we’re losing all the seniors and that’s all the height on the team, but I think if we work hard, we can do it.”
Noonan says that despite losing five seniors this year, she’s confident in her team. Noonan has gifted Mission Hills with three years of greatness, and there’s no doubt she’ll provide one more.
Noonan puts the student in student athlete as well. With five rigorous AP classes, including AP U.S. History and AP Calculus, Noonan pushes herself academically as well as athletically. She has been on varsity volleyball all three of her years at Mission Hills, and takes many difficult classes to set herself up for her future.