The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Wind Ensemble Soars to New Heights

Mr. Coughlin conducting the Wind Ensemble.

On Nov. 14, Mission Hills students had the honor of attending a beautiful performance by the school’s very own Wind Ensemble. Performing a series of three back-to-back pieces, the group was in sync, professional, and showcased their talent by tackling complex, yet poetic pieces that seemed to soar above and beyond.
The performance began with power, wowing those who waited excitedly and shocking those who weren’t paying attention with dramatic opening melodies that seemed to rattle the entire theater. After a strong beginning, the musicians harnessed the perfect balance between light, breezy, and steady lower harmonies with skill. The ensemble carried the audience through a story of strength and might, playing a largely Star Wars-inspired piece. In this piece especially, the audience could feel the ambience from the music, floating like a dream, as flute trills were interlaced with pronounced basslines. The piece invoked the feeling of being a character in “Star Wars” — a marching stormtrooper or a creeping Rebel. It, as a whole, transported listeners someplace magical.
With a quick end to the first piece, followed by a round of applause, the band director, Christopher Coughlin, proceeded to initiate the second piece of the performance: a beautiful lullaby titled “Riften Wed”, composed by Julie Giroux and inspired by the video game Skyrim. The direct contrast of the powerful “Star Wars” piece previously with this blissful and calm piece was refreshing and interesting, from the perspective of an audience member. This piece evoked feelings of peace, through the presence of hypnotizing upper voice melodies, lifting and gliding through the air as if they were simply part of the breeze. However, as the song progressed, the addition of sinister low brass sounds creeping beneath the joyful upper voices caused minor tone to gradually become ever more present until it overtook the entire song, turning the tone from a blissful melody to a haunting tale seemingly hinting of evil to come.
After a strong, powerful beginning to the performance and an eerie, yet beautiful lullaby following it, the audience arrived at the very last piece, “Reckoning”, by Michael Markowski. Described in the program as an underdog story, a story of poor vs. rich, strong vs. weak, it drew up expectations of a gentle, weary tune; however, the ensemble instead wove a gorgeous tale of power and overcoming sadness in order to become victorious. Beginning with gentle tones echoing throughout the upper and lower voices alike, the music built into a calming yet almost cautious melody with haunting trills and vibrato in the upper voices mixed with sturdy and powerful lower voices. The star of the piece, though, is the crescendo, as the story of the underdog takes a turn and the ensemble brings about the sense that they have overcome and achieved victory. The music sways and swells as horns harmonize with clarinets in a strengthening chorus, and the bassline carries the group to victory, to the finish line. The beautiful and emotional piece came to an end, and the audience applauded generously as the ensemble stood and filed out, the melancholy hymn of victory still echoing in everyone’s minds.
The Mission Hills Wind Ensemble created a wonderful experience for all who attended, and it is highly encouraged for students to support the group and show up to their performances in the future.