The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Athlete of the Week #1: Keaton Smith

Photo by Calee Leavitt
Keaton Smith getting excited about a football play.

Beginning a new and awaited program, every couple of weeks, the Silvertip will choose an athlete based off of athletic performance, academic excellence, and contributions to the Grizzly family. Keaton Smith has been chosen as the first Silvertip Athlete of the Week.
Smith is a senior who has played wide receiver for the Varsity Grizzly football team this year. He initially got into football by watching it on the television as a kid. He stated that from a young age, he was always drawn to the position of quarterback. When asked what his favorite memory was as a Grizzly football player, Keaton decided on his 76-yard touchdown this year against La Costa Canyon.
Smith’s main motivator was knowing that he needed to be involved in order to help the team win. His determination always stemmed from wanting to see his team succeed. Smith wishes to provide advice for future Grizzly football players.
“Keep working and try to find a way. If it doesn’t go your way, try to find a way to help your team,” said Smith.
One of his favorite coaches is Coach Zapata, and Smith shared that it seemed like he knew what to say and how to encourage him when things got tough. Smith was asked about teammates that he considered family, and he answered without hesitation.
“Johnny Marron is the first person that comes to mind because I have been playing with him since I was in elementary school,” said Smith.
The toughest setback Smith said he went through as a Mission Hills athlete was switching from quarterback to wide receiver during the season. However, he said working hard every day was the key to getting it done. Smith is successful on and off the field, and he says his motivation behind his academics comes from just knowing if he kept working hard and focusing, everything would fall into place.