Blizzard Warning in LA, recent inclement weather affects SoCal

With LA having their first blizzard warning since 1989 and SoCal facing inclement weather, students and residents of the area express the affects of the weather.

Clouds and showers have been reoccuring in San Marcos, including Mission Hills.

Photo by Itzel Alonso

Citizens of San Marcos and all over California may have been affected by the recent inclement weather, consisting of consecutive extremely rainy days and even a blizzard warning in Los Angeles. It is no surprise that such cold weather might affect students as well, as there are many sports and other activities taking place early 2023.
“With the sports, it has made it much harder and we’ve had some practices getting canceled; it has just made it way less available for people because we get less practice and it affects how we play. Over the years, we’ve been getting more and more rain and I think it’ll affect sports a lot,” sophomore Michael Rodriguez said, a Varsity Lacrosse player.
Although it has kept students and staff inside most of the time, some say the constant rain and wind is a good thing, as California has been stuck in a period of non-stop droughts. The rain could potentially improve upon this state-wide condition.

It’s horrible—it’s colder than usual, people are getting more sick. Some of my papers got really wet. Our school ground is not level, and there’s lots of [flooding]. With global warming, it’s going to affect everything.

— Jessica Rodriguez

“It’s uncomfortable at the moment, but overall, I think it’s a good thing for California. We’ve been going into the gym a couple more times than normal, I would say. But it hasn’t significantly affected us negatively. Sports it affects a little bit more, especially the ones like baseball which require playing on a dry field, so they’ve had to push their games back,” said Curtis Hofmeister, Boys Basketball Coach.

From canceling practices to pushing back games, the recent climate in California has affected just more than sports. There were even avalanches in places such as Lake Tahoe, and multiple feet of snow in Rancho Bernardo. Moreover, the unusual cold has caused a spike in illness. According to Healthline, studies have found that these temperatures lower immunity, making us more susceptible to viruses.

“It’s horrible—it’s colder than usual, people are getting more sick. Some of my papers got really wet. Our school ground is not level, and there’s lots of [flooding]. With global warming, it’s gonna affect everything,” junior Jessica Rodriguez said.

Rainy weather causes lunch tables for students wet, a potential inconvenience. (Photo by Itzel Alonso)

Overall, the immense amount of rain, snow, and hail in addition to winter storms such as blizzards and a hurricane in the end of 2022 has surprised many Californians. While the question of whether or not this weather is beneficial or detrimental to the state is still up for debate, we can count on staying inside for a lot of this spring season.
For more information specific to Mission Hills such as P.E. protocols for this topic, visit the school’s website. Other resources regarding the weather can be found here.