The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Beyond the Blades: A Closer Look at the Passion Behind Figure Skating

Photo by Lizzy Aguilar
Figure skating combines technical skill with artistic expression, captivating audiences with mesmerizing performances that showcase passion and skill. Skaters benefit from physical fitness and mental acuity, promoting personal growth and self-expression. “Skating taught me a lot about patience…it’s a lot about being patient with yourself and continuing to keep going,” said Heidi Rahmo, Mission Hills alumni.

Figure skating is a graceful and elegant sport that combines technical and artistic elements. It’s a winter sport that has been captivating its audiences for decades with mesmerizing performances. Not only do they perform with amazing technical skill, but they also interpret the accompanying music in a unique way. They beckon the observer in by expressing their emotions through their movements and facial expressions. At its foundation, performance art is a kind of art that is shown to captivate audiences on a global scale.
“Figure skating captivates audiences with its mesmerizing spins, jumps and intricate choreography, showcasing each skater’s passion and skill for this sport. I will admit, skating on its own is really hard but not impossible if you put your all into it,” sophomore Noelia De La Cruz said.
One of the main benefits of figure skating is the physical fitness it provides. Skating requires a great deal of cardiovascular endurance, as well as strength and flexibility in major muscle groups throughout the body. Skaters usually incorporate off-ice training such as weight-lifting, stretching, and core exercises to improve their performance on the ice. In addition to physical fitness, figure skating also promotes mental acuity and focus. Skaters must memorize complex routines and execute them perfectly under pressure. This helps improve concentration, memory, and overall cognitive function.
“Skating taught me a lot about patience. Skating is one of those sports that are very specific to each moment which makes it really hard for anyone whether they are just starting out or not and it’s a lot about being patient with yourself and continuing to keep going,” Mission Hills alumni Heidi Rahmo said.
Figure skating is a highly social yet competitive sport that allows skaters to connect with others who share their passion. Skating clubs and competitions provide opportunities for skaters to meet new friends, learn from one another, and support each other in their endeavors. The only mental thing about figure skating is mental blocks. Mental blocks in figure skating can impede a skater’s performance and progression. They can manifest as fear of trying new elements, lack of confidence in complex choreography, or difficulty focusing during competitions.
A big thing that helps me keep going and get over my mental blocks is that one bad day does not make you a bad skater or any less of a skater,” said Rahmo.
Yuzuru Hanyu, a two-time Japanese Olympic gold medalist and one of the most accomplished figure skaters in the world made a valid point. He expressed that figure skating is not just about athleticism or technical skills, but also about creativity, expression and emotional connection. He mentions it’s a way to express oneself, to tell a story, and evoke emotions through their performances on the ice. Every skater has their own style and way of interpreting music and movement, and that diversity is what makes skating such a rich and captivating sport. Overall, Hanyu’s perspective on figure skating emphasizes the artistic, emotional, and personal dimensions of the sport, and he believes that these aspects can resonate with and be meaningful to every skater, no matter where they are in their skating journey.
Through the pursuit of technical skills and the dedication to perfecting performance, skaters can experience personal growth, develop resilience, and cultivate a sense of self-expression and fulfillment. The benefits of figure skating extend beyond the rink, providing valuable lessons in discipline, determination, and the power of individuality that can positively impact skaters in various aspects of their lives. Ultimately, figure skating offers a unique and enriching journey of self-discovery and skill development for all who choose to glide across the ice.