The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

20 Years of Mission Hills

Mission Hills High School Grizzly Plaza, heart of the school and the very beginning.

In August 2004, buried in the hills of San Marcos, Mission Hills High School opened its doors. Teachers from San Marcos High School transferred to the new school after hearing the news of a new opportunity to teach. The school was arguably the largest outdoor school in the district. Now 20 years later, the school remains one of the biggest in San Diego county.
Throughout the years, teachers have come and gone, but only a couple have been here since the very start. The school has changed quite a lot, and these teachers have experienced both the highs and lows.
“The students are amazing, and getting to know everybody and knowing the kids, that has by far been my favorite.” said Jolene Clark, the finance manager for the school.
Clark has been here for all 20 years of Mission Hills High School’s operation and says she wouldn’t change her job even now.
“When it first opened, they only had 9 through eleven, but I’d say there are a lot more students now than back then,” said Clark.
Mission Hills High School started small, but as the seasons changed and the time flew, Mission Hills has grown to around 3,000 students and has a teacher ratio of 28 students per one teacher. The teachers that are still here after all these years are cherished, as there are only a few.
Aside from Clark, there is another teacher who has witnessed all 20 years of Mission Hills and the changes along the way.
“Some aspects, I guess, get easier with experience, but then some things get harder over time like different challenges. I absolutely love working here. It’s been awesome.” said Geometry and Calculus teacher John Guseman.
Mission Hills is unique in many ways, and it’s important to remember all the sacrifices made to get here today. Mission Hills has been brought up and built strongly throughout these years, to provide a positive uplifting school.
Happy 20 years, and here’s to many more.