The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Holiday Season’s Traditions

As we return to the second semester, many Mission Hills students are reflecting on the happy moments of winter break—being able to sleep in, spending time with family, and participating in yearly holiday traditions.
Belen Novelo, a freshman, especially treasures her family’s “yummy” Christmas cuisine.
“My mom makes this soup called Birria every year, and we make bunuelos for my Abuelo because he unfortunately died around Christmas time, so we just wanted to make his favorite dessert. And my dad likes to make this really good ham. Every year on Christmas Eve, we get In-n-Out and then we go around looking at Christmas lights,” said Novelo.
Many students at Mission Hills share a common love for all aspects of the beloved winter break, whether it be the delicious food, reunions of loved ones, or celebrating holidays like Christmas and Hanukkah.
“My family always gathers and we have a good time, and nobody leaves until 11:00 pm,” said freshman Abby Perea.
In the days leading up to the holidays, Perea always looked forward to the delightful cuisine served on Christmas.
“My family likes to gather and make tamales and champurrado,” said Perea.
It is interesting to see how different traditions can vary throughout cultures, from delicious Mexican desserts to New Year’s celebrations and German Christmas markets. With the rich variety of ethnicities that make up the population of Mission Hills, there are bound to be many students celebrating in remarkable ways.
Sophomore Jonathan Dang shares what he is looking forward to this winter.
“…Celebrating Lunar New Year with my Vietnamese church,” said Dang.
The new year brings hope and endless possibilities to everyone, including ventures into new opportunities. This also rings true for Dang, who will be able to experience something exciting and admirable this season.
“I’m actually going to participate in the Lunar New Year dance,” said Dang.
With the festive holidays, new opportunities, and happy memories that this winter break brought, it was a season to remember, and the New Year will bring academic success and an eventful spring.