The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Social Justice Club Finishes off the Semester with Support for the Homeless Community

Social Justice Club focuses on teacher appreciation by making a poster for Mrs. Brewster, a math teacher on campus.
Photo by Daniel Ashlock

Social Justice Club (SJC), a new club as of this year at Mission Hills has been meeting in Mrs. Brewster’s room, 660, ever since getting sign-ups at Club Rush. As they have been researching and working on the homeless issue since, they will be moving onto another after a clothing drive on Dec. 5 to donate to the Salvation Army in support of helping the unhoused.
Club president Annabelle Dorman explained in an interview the basis of SJC and what the ultimate goal is for the club.
“We try to spread awareness about leading issues in our community as well as trying to give back [to it]. We like to give back to our staff here at Mission Hills, so we make them teacher appreciation posters,” said sophomore Dorman.
So far, in terms of teacher appreciation, they have done posters for Mrs. Brewster, Mr. Peña, and Mr. Settle. They have all worked together to create these projects, as the secretary shares what has been his favorite aspect of SJC.
“My favorite part [of SJC] is the collaborativeness and the planning [we do] to help people in need. People should join because it feels really good to help people,” said sophomore Sam Grau.
Not only does giving back and lifting each other up feel good to do, but it also forms connections with like-minded people, as explains sophomore member Katelyn Massey.
“I enjoy the tight comradery we all have. We all get to know each other on a one-on-one basis,” said Massey.
Despite the semester coming to a close with their last meeting also on Dec. 5, all the members are looking forward to continuing their journey in speaking out, and Dorman shares one last sentiment about the club as the year of 2023 ends.
“I’m proud of the people who’ve joined the club because they have a passion for creating change and spreading awareness,” said Dorman.