Lopez blocks lacrosse shots and takes his own shot at physical therapy

Photo by Matthew Lopez

Lopez guards the goal as he prepares to block a shot.

Story by Samantha Wong, Editor in Chief

Excelling in both academics and athletics, Andrew Lopez has committed a significant amount of time to his studies in preparation for his college career. Lopez has learned many life lessons during high school and is ready to test his knowledge on a new adventure carrying his determined mentality with him.

“You have to have the right mentality to succeed and teachers like Mrs. Kivett and Ms. Hinman have helped me. They have taught me that there will always be someone better than you in some way or another and that’s not a bad thing but it will motivate me to get back up and learn to be better,” Lopez said.

Along with participating in academic clubs such as NHS and CSF, Lopez showcases his leadership skills on and off the lacrosse field by being a team captain and leading incoming freshmen in Link Crew. His participation in academic and athletic clubs contributed to Lopez receiving the impressive title of Cardinal Scholar. 

“Andrew is incredibly hard working and rises to any challenge. He is an incredibly academically gifted student and amazing for trying a new sport (lacrosse), especially for being the goalie. I wish him the best of luck and I can’t wait to hear all that he accomplishes and what direction his life takes him,” Mrs. Kivett said.

Lopez will be bringing his determined attitude to Grand Canyon University this fall in order to become a physical therapist. 

Andrew is incredibly hard working and rises to any challenge. He is an incredibly academically gifted student and amazing for trying a new sport (lacrosse), especially for being the goalie. I wish him the best of luck,

— Mrs. Kivett

“I have grown and become more confident and I’ve even stepped into leadership roles. I know I have left an impact on the campus with all the work I’ve put in, especially for the boys lacrosse team by helping to set precedents for the future players,” Lopez said. 

Although he is unsure what the future will hold, he has a few words of advice for the remaining high school students.

“Work hard, but above all enjoy your time in high school and make the most of it as you never know what crazy events can happen,” Lopez said.