The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Freshmen Expectations: How 9th Graders View High School

Photo by Clara Byrne
The sun sets over a Friday night football game, one of the classic high school experiences. “Friday night football games are really fun and it’s a great way to build community with your school,” said Simone Soricelli.

High school: that famous, amazing experience that students anticipate from the very beginning of their academic careers. However, not every day is going to be a “High School Musical” experience (dancing on top of desks and such). Let’s find out how high school lived up to the expectations of freshmen and if they have advice for those starting out in the upcoming fall.
“I was expecting high school to be a lot worse, and it’s honestly pretty chill,” said freshman Charlotte O’Steen.
It’s true that many students, when faced with a new chapter in life full of increased expectations and challenges, might be expecting the worst. However, there will always be a bright side — these new things will not be scary forever, and everything will work out for the best in time.
When asked what has been the best part of freshman year so far, O’Steen commented, “The opportunity to make new friends.”
With the diverse and bustling population of Mission Hills, there are many chances to meet new faces and craft long-lasting friendships. Other students went on to comment on what has been the best experience they have taken on at Mission Hills.
“I would say the best part is meeting new people,” said freshman Abigail Perea. “You get to meet different people from different schools. You meet new people, make new friends and it’s so much fun.”
The transition from middle school to high school does often prove to be difficult, with added stressors like additional schoolwork and responsibilities. Freshmen shared the advice they would have for those starting high school in the fall.
“I thought it would be a lot harder, and it’s not as hard as I was expecting—but keep on top of your work and avoid piling it up,” said freshman Aubrey Mathews. “Try to turn everything in on time.”
So, if you are a freshman or incoming freshmen, surround yourself with good people, distance from toxicity and keep up to date with academics and classwork. High school can be a great experience and opportunity for personal growth if an effort is made to let it.