The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Evolution of Journalism: A Decade of Digital Dominance

Photo by Payton Aleksandrian
Maddy Donlon is looking at the New York Times for her news. She was in Mission Hills High School trying to keep up with what was happening in the world. Donlon said ¨ I like having news on the internet because I can access it whenever I want.¨

Journalism has changed profusely with the introduction of smartphones and electronics as a whole. Everyone can see the digital aspect of reporting and how journalism changed, but what about the writing style and the topics we write about and how about the way people consume information?
If people look at https://www.nytimes.com/, students can find that under the sections “U.S.,” or “business,” or “opinion,” and “The Wire Cutter,” tech is mentioned continuously.
One of the most major news sites has tech under four of eleven main topics. Under the topic of technology, there are so many articles that they take up 10 pages. According to the website, pewresearth.org, people ages 18-29 got their news from television at eight percent, radio at three percent, print publications at four percent, and digital devices at 89 percent.
Most younger people find information on phones, computers, and other devices like that. Social media can play a big part in the spread of news—people can report about it on apps like TikTok, Instagram, and other social media apps. Almost everyone is always on their phone in this modern age, so news on these apps can be spread around in a matter of minutes.
In many recent years, journalism didn’t just change the way to see information, it changed the way it is written. In the article, “10 Ways Journalism Has Changed Over the Years,” found on greatvaluecolleges.net, it is claimed that “online journalism has created a sensationalized media environment in which well-respected news outlets compete for clicks with independent content providers, who are often less scrupulous in their analysis and commentary.”
Since there is so much information online and a lot of sources to find it from, clicks on an article make the news outlets more money. Many news agencies sensualize an article to make more money for the consumer.
“Reporters can record events in real-time and have those saved on the internet forever,” said junior Zaera Beltran.
It can be easier to report on things, as people can use something as simple as a phone to record data to write an article about. People can find anything they want on the internet, like information for articles.
Journalism has changed a lot, from the way people read the information to the way people write the stories. The Silvertip is online, after all, proving that this can be seen in high schools too. The introduction to newspapers online made thousands of articles available to millions, which can be a good thing, but misinformation spreads quickly. As long as everyone checks their information, the internet can be a great place to find news and other things.