The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Happiness and Motivation: How Students Recharge and Succeed

Feeling+the+sun+on+your+skin+is+an+instant+source+of+serotonin.+
Photo by Clara Byrne
Feeling the sun on your skin is an instant source of serotonin.

The truth is, high school can be rough—many students often feel overwhelmed with balancing rigorous classes, social lives, and the many responsibilities of being a teenager. However, a tried-and-true method of achieving inner peace in the midst of this chaos is to focus on personal happiness and growth. Mission Hills students shared what gives them motivation to keep going and succeed.
“I think I really want to go to a good college. My sister was a straight-A student and she always went above and beyond, so she really set the high bar for me,” said freshman Belen Novelo.
She proceeded to comment on what gives her mental clarity and peace outside of school.
“I love to read, but if I don’t have the energy to do that, I’ll just go in bed and turn up the music, listen to Taylor Swift. I feel content, I’m in the moment, I don’t want to be anywhere but there—I love the moment and I’m living in it.”
A recurring theme in the answers of MHHS students seems to be relaxing in their comfort place and listening to music—recharging after a long day of academics. The balance between school life and taking time for relaxation is incredibly important, especially as classes grow harder and personal peace is neglected.
“Listening to a good song on loop for multiple hours is so fun,” said freshman Charlotte O’Steen.
She also shared what motivated her academically.
“Trophies, beating people, and winning,” said O’Steen.
While some students are inspired by the feeling of academic success to keep them going, others simply want to support their loved ones by working hard in high school now; that way, they can enjoy a fruitful future.
“My family and the thought of being able to take care of the people I love motivates me in school,” said freshman Bella Torres.
She also commented on the importance of balancing academic and social life.
“My family and music give me lots of happiness and they calm me down. Happiness means calmness and being content with what you are doing,” said Torres.
Mission Hills students are encouraged to think about this next time they are overwhelmed by schoolwork—focus on why they work so hard and how great and rewarding the outcome will be. Through effectively balancing happiness and motivation, life as a high school student can be made easier over time… Trust the process!