The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Rethinking Gender Norms in P.E. Clothing

Photo by Payton Aleksandrian
Talia Roberts is pictured after P.E. walking into the locker room. She was going to change her P.E. clothes. “I like the fit of my P.E. shirt, just not the fit of my shorts; they’re too big for me,” said freshman Roberts.

The P.E. clothes are gender-neutral at Mission Hills, which can be good in selling, production, and sizing. This can benefit the school too by making it easier to make the clothing. Even though it helps out the school, does it benefit the students?
“Even if you don’t want to wear the girl’s clothes, it still gives you an option, you can wear the boy’s clothes,” said freshman Sophia Kothe.
Kothe likes longer shorts, but she has two options for clothes. She thinks that this can benefit a lot of people by having two different fits. These choices can make P.E. more enjoyable since almost everyone has done P.E. for at least one year.
People might have preferences about the clothes, but how do they fit on a person? According to Homework.Study.com, “We find that the legs of men are longer than those of women compared to their total body proportions.¨
Since, statistically, women have shorter legs, it would make the P.E. shorts longer. Shorter people also have shorter legs, so the shorts are very long, and it is hard to roll them up when the leg part is very long.
“Since most boys like longer shorts, it affects the girls because most of them like shorter shorts,” said freshman Sahrai Nance.
Nance likes the shorter shorts on her because she is a shorter girl so they fit her pretty well. One is going to be wearing those shorts for the whole year or two so making them fit better on people’s bodies or look better to them is important to people.
In conclusion, P.E. clothes are just one thing that makes up the P.E. experience. There are many different bodies and preferences in Mission Hills and P.E. clothes can’t meet all those requirements, but sizing can help with that. No matter if the sizing doesn’t change, people should at least try to feel good in whatever they put themselves in.