The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Extracurricular Extravaganza: Unleashing the Power of School Adventures

Photo by Gabriela P.
Extracurricular activities benefit students and help them improve academic performance. Alyssa Wagner, a dancer, shares her perspective.

Students who engage in extracurricular activities tend to have higher academic achievement, stronger character development, better time management and leadership abilities, more positive social development, tend to have a greater commitment to community involvement. Thus, the school system can use this data to motivate students to engage in activities that will improve their personal and academic performance.
Those who participate frequently in club- or sports-oriented activities tend to achieve higher grades, perform better on standardized tests, and have generally better educational experiences.
“They have made me more confident and also helped me speak freely on what I have on my mind,” said Alyssa Wagner, who is involved in studio dancing.
Many students who get to participate in activities after school have experienced a change in their mindset after interacting with other, or older, students.
Not only do students have the opportunity to find their true selves with activities outside of school, but they can also enjoy more benefits, such as the opportunity to be more organized and time managing, both in and out of school. Participating in extracurricular activities builds teamwork, communication, relationships, and a sense of belonging. All of these can improve a student’s well-being.
“They’ve helped me to memorize things more by being able to have everything organized through the whole day. I have this schedule that has everything which I do every day because it creates it to be in order and just getting to that activity also made me have more patience,” said freshman Diana Pahua, who does Baile folklórico.
It can be concluded that students who participate in an extracurricular activity tend to have higher social performance. Extracurricular activities may also help students develop their character by providing them with the skills they need to succeed in life, such as leadership, time management, and self-discipline.