The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

The Silvertip

Independent vs. Team Projects: The Debate Between MHHS Students

Photo by Dane Hanlon
Dane Hanlon, Jude Poyuzina, and Sammy Francisco debating the best way to go about a science project for a good grade. “How should we format the slides for the project?” Dane said.

An assignment or project in class is usually taken in one of two directions; an independent project, needing individual problem solving skills and the discipline to complete something completely on your own, or a group project, a test of a group of students’ determination to reach a common goal. However, there has always been a rivalry between the two about which type of project is more beneficial to a student’s growth.
“I’ve always been able to focus more and really lock in on my projects when I do them alone,” said James Melena, a freshman taking two honors courses and a dual enrollment course.
Melena has had lots of experience in his classes completing group projects, but he still prefers doing things independently than with a group. Working by oneself eliminates the need to communicate to each group member, cutting the amount of time the project takes in half and making the project significantly easier due to the fact that you can trust yourself and what you write.
Zofia Dowd freshman said, “I prefer working in groups because when working on bigger projects, you can get multiple opinions and it can help bring more reasoning to your work,”
Dowd brings up an important point when saying that doing group assignments can bring multiple unique perspectives into one’s work. By doing group assignments, one can enhance the quality of their work by including multiple views and perspectives that could be very beneficial.
“I’ve always liked group projects more because the work is spread out more evenly,” said sophomore Sammy Francisco, “I don’t feel so much pressure to get something done by myself.”
Francisco restates what many MHHS students can likely agree with. By doing an assignment with others, one can evenly distribute the work among the group, easing the stress an assignment may bring.
It seems as if, overall, MHHS students are divided about whether they prefer group assignments or independent assignments. Some, such as James Melena, say that they would rather do individual assignments because they trust themselves and their work abilities, whereas others, like Zofia Dowd, say that doing group assignments can bring unique perspectives into one’s article. Both styles of working have their pros and cons, and it depends on the student’s working preferences to choose which one they prefer more.