IPC builds future engineers at the APEX EXPO 2019

With a 1,000 dollar check in hand, robotics students beamed with pride, thanks to the IPC Education Foundation.

Story by Salma Ramirez and Jocelynn Beltran

A yellow school bus filled with high school STEM students from the San Marcos Unified School District arrived early at the San Diego Convention Center on Jan. 31 to experience a hands-on, behind-the-scenes look at what goes into the making and selling of electronics at the IPC (Institute for Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits) APEX EXPO 2019.

During the Q and A session with the panel, students learned about how they could get a jump-start into the field of electrical engineering. The room whirred and buzzed with excitement after learning about IPC’s upcoming credential program that will be made available to high school students in the fall.

“Students can put these credentials on their resume and profiles and call these guys and say ‘by the way, I saw you on the panel; are you hiring for the summer, because I’ve already been trained’,” said Dr. John W. Mitchell, President and CEO of IPC.

Growing up, Mitchell didn’t envision himself leading conventions for IPC such as the APEX EXPO. However, introducing young engineers to various beneficial opportunities for their futures definitely piqued his interest.

The theme of the day—to engage and learn from people at all stages of manufacturing and selling of electrical technologies—was best put to words by the Director of Technology Transfer at IPC, Chris Jorgensen, who humorously discouraged untied hair during the soldering demo by tucking away his long beard.

“Learn anything you can. Knowledge is never wasted,” Jorgensen said.

Light bulbs went off throughout the day as each student engaged with engineers, programmers, company representatives and marketers.

I think learning about all the different machines, exactly what they do and how they work is a one-of-a-kind experience you can only get within the industry and the field, and that’s because they aren’t able to bring a ginormous machine into class and show us

— Sara Huffman (10)

“I think learning about all the different machines, exactly what they do and how they work is a one-of-a-kind experience you can only get within the industry and the field, and that’s because they aren’t able to bring a ginormous machine into class and show us,” said Sara Huffman (10), Vice President of the Robotics Club at Mission Hills High School.

It was a memorable day for all who were present as they celebrated the official proclamation made by the House of Representatives, signed by Congressman Scott Peters, that named Jan. 31 as IPC Education Foundation Day for the 52nd district of San Diego. Going forward, IPC hopes to double the number of students attending the annual conference and provide more scholarships for schools in the county.