Applying for the Simon Family Foundation Scholarship in 10 steps

Story by Salma Ramirez, Co-Editor in Chief

1. In order to apply, you must be a Mission Hills High School (MHHS) sophomore who plans to attend MHHS until graduation (or attend a school partnered with the Simon Family Foundation) and have a 3.0 grade point average (GPA). If this applies to you, you may proceed.
  2. Go to https://simonscholars.org/application/ and enter the code: collegebound#1
  3. Click on “Sign Up” to make an account. Make sure to use a working email that is NOT your school email (@smusd.org) and write down your password. Notice: This log in will allow you to access your application if you are invited to move on to the next round.
  4. Ask a parent/guardian to work on the application with you if possible so that your personal information is accurate.
  5. Write your personal statements on a separate document such as Google Docs so that you can track your word count. This will decrease your chances of losing all copies of your work if you accidentally leave it unsaved on the application.
  6. Have someone proofread your personal statements to ensure clarity and quality.
  7. Get a Letter of Recommendation Packet from the College and Career Center or print one here before requesting a letter from your two closest teachers. This will allow them to know more about you and write a stronger letter. Only request a third letter if you think it is absolutely necessary (your choice will not give you an advantage or penalty).
  8. Contact your counselor before turning in your application so that they are aware of the transcript/GPA verification request that will be sent to them.
  9. After turning in your application, check for an email notification that says your application was received. Make sure it doesn’t go to your spam; this is how they will notify you if you were chosen to move on to the next round.
  10. If you have any questions, leave a comment below or email me at: [email protected]