Mission Hills offers COVID-19 testing in Redwood Hall’s lobby

Photo by Lori Nishiguchi

On Tuesdays and Thursdays COVID-19 testing is available in Redwood Hall’s lobby.

Story by Quinlan Gruman and Lori Nishiguchi

Mission Hills now offers COVID-19 testing, on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Redwood Hall’s lobby, located near the administration office from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The testing center allows students and staff who have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with an infected individual to be voluntarily tested for free so that they can return to class more quickly.

“It is an asset on campus to provide students and families easier access to testing which allows us to keep our campus healthier. My hope is for our world to be free of COVID-19 someday, or at least our school,” said Jen Helfand, a MHHS afternoon health aid. 

With more testing resources such as what Mission Hills now offers, students and staff may spend less time in isolation or quarantine if they are suspected to have COVID-19.

“I think it’s pretty nice, I feel like honestly putting it in front of a school where there’s a bunch of kids might be a disturbance for the school in general but other than that it’s pretty good. [The testing] is pretty convenient, mostly for the students and parents, but not really anyone else [since] it’s located in the school,” freshman Halee Trinh said.

The San Marcos Unified School District (SMUSD) strongly suggests that symptoms for COVID-19 should be self monitored daily. Symptoms include sore throat, shortness of breath, congestion and more. Those who exhibit symptoms should notify the district and stay home until further notice. Face coverings are to be worn by students indoors unless medically exempt. 

“I think that is a good idea because you can get tested here at your school…it for sure makes me comfortable because you can just get tested here when you need to,” freshman Angie Flores said.

SMUSD has more testing locations open to students and staff aside from Mission Hills. Places such as La Mirada Academy, San Marcos High School, and the SMUSD district office are open for testing at various times and days. The full list of locations and times can be viewed on SMUSD’s website. The testing times and locations may change as time and the pandemic progress. SMUSD’s testing locations are open on a walk-in basis; appointments are not needed. Please register prior to arriving to expedite check-in: https://smusd.testscheduler.net/register. Click here for additional details.