Katrina Do continues her creative journey as she embarks on her STEM-based career

Photo by Joseph Kamandy

Katrina Do (12) reserves time to draw despite the demand and rigor of her academic courses.

Story by Antonio Morales Leyva, Opinions Editor

While many roll their eyes at the sight of polynomial graphs and differential equations, Katrina Do (12) has found her niche in the AP Calculus classroom. Not only is she incredibly gifted academically, but Do is also just as familiar with a paintbrush as she is with solving integrals. Do has spent her high school career cultivating her artistic talent while simultaneously excelling in math and science.

“Katrina is fun, hardworking, and loud. She can always make me smile and laugh even when I’m not having the best day; she makes everyday fun. She’s an incredible artist, even when she says she isn’t, and her ability to do well academically without studying is really impressive,” Cecilia Nguyen (12) said.

With her love for art surfacing at an early age, Do has spent most of her life learning how to master different forms of craft, and also likes to paint more casually on her free time. This often includes painting memes on rocks, movie characters on water bottles, and landscapes on calculators for her friends.

— Cecilia Nguyen

“I have memories of making customized name tags for everyone in my fifth-grade class with bubble-letters. Each would be made with a two-by-three index card in the student’s favorite color. Some kids thought that they were dumb and would throw them away, but it didn’t bother me. Despite this, a desire to create something for others has always stayed with me,” Do said.

Although she has struggled to give herself the credit that she deserves, her friends are not afraid to boast her astounding talent and lovable personality.

“Katrina is special because she never fails to brighten up a room when she comes in and is always willing to help everyone. She’s always there for me even at 1:00 am or when I’m crying in class. She’s very good at art even though she says she’s not,” Olivia Barcoma (12) said.

As she continues to experience her firsts and lasts as a senior, Do is excited to continue her journey as she learns to incorporate art in her life. Whether it be in class or for her friends, Do sees no end in sight for her creative journey as she pursues a STEM-based career.