UNICEF Club inspires Grizzlies to serve their community

Photo by Tanner Peart

UNICEF Club supports children in San Marcos and around the world.

Story by Samantha Wong, Editor in Chief

Across the United States, students, teachers, and volunteers are saving the lives of kids all around the world. The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), was first established by the United Nations in December 1946 to meet the emergency needs of children in post-war Europe and China, and it became a permanent part of the United Nation system in 1953. Today our school club works with UNICEF USA’s Southern California board president Kaleen Lemmon, school staff, and ASB members to create a change in our community. 

“I joined UNICEF because I was in Key Club and both organizations work together on some projects that benefit the community. Also, my friends hold positions on the board and I wanted to support them and their clubs,” Cecilia Nguyen (12) said.

Joining UNICEF is a great way to create a change in our world while getting volunteer hours for school and non-school related programs. In October, the club participated in our school’s Socktober donation drive and donated new or gently used socks. In addition, the club is also taking part in the Trick-or-Treat For UNICEF campaign, raising money for children’s immunization, education, health care, nutrition, safe water, sanitation, emergency relief, and much more. During November, members will be encouraged to participate in our school wide blood drive, canned food drive, and to continue donating to the Trick-or-Treat campaign. 

“I think we will reach our goal of $500 for Trick-or-Treat because of the great community we have,” Atharva Raut (9) said. 

This club is important as it pushes students to be part of a change that many children and expectant mothers need around the world. The club hopes to create awareness about major events happening that people may ignore because they are not in proximity to be impacted.

“I hope that the club continues to grow and inspire members of our club and the community to be more aware of what’s going on in other countries and want to help,” said Olivia Barcoma (12), UNICEF club president.

UNICEF is run on a volunteer basis; consequently, members are able to choose what events or campaigns they want to participate in. For more information on how to be a part of UNICEF, visit a club meeting the first Wednesday of every month in room 455 during lunch.