Grizzlies sink the Oceanside Pirates’ ship at the homecoming game


Photo by Marbella Ramirez

The team lines up for success .

Story by Ethan Ibarra, Staff Writer

 Walking into the stadium, everyone could feel the energy grow with every step you took. The music was booming and everyone from the players on the field to the students in the Growl Crowd were ready to go for one of the biggest games of the season; Grizzlies had a record of 3-2 and wanted to keep their winning streak going.

    Ranked sixth in the county, Oceanside High School was going to be one of the hardest tests for the Grizzlies. Ezekeal Mata (12) got everything in place for when the whistle blew to start the game at Jack Ashby Stadium.

   During the first quarter, both teams were able to keep each other at a stalemate. The Grizzlies defensive line was staying strong against an impressive Oceanside offense. With great punts from Mata, the Grizzlies were always able to push Oceanside back into their own half. 

   In the second quarter, both teams were getting closer to scoring. Jackson Oksnee (11) was creating many scoring opportunities and gaining yards for the Grizzlies. Halfway into the quarter, Oksnee completed a 70 yard pass to Cameron Woolsey (11) for the first touchdown of the game with Mata completing the point after touchdown (PAT) to make the score 7-0. Seconds before halftime, the Grizzlies had a chance to add three more points on the board with a 52 yard field goal attempt which Mata completed and the stadium erupted. 

   After their team talk at halftime, both teams were fired up and ready to go for the third quarter. The Oceanside offense was starting to pick up momentum. However, the Grizzlies defense was able to handle the pressure and win the ball back. On the 22-yard line, Jackson Oksnee was able to create space for himself in the pocket and picked out a diving Skai Donnell (11) for the second touchdown of the game. Everyone in the stands watched in astonishment when Donnell caught the football. Mata again completed the PAT to make the score 17-0 halfway into the quarter. Into the final quarter, the Grizzlies kept up their dominance with Mata completing another 27 yard field goal to make the score 20-0. Quinton Hadnot (12) made another important play in the game when he ran the football all the way to the one yard line which then gave Jackson Oksnee the rushing touchdown which was well deserved for a crucial performance. Mata ended the game off with another PAT which made the end result to the game 27-0 for the Grizzlies. 

   The following week, the Grizzlies were able to keep their winning streak going with a crucial win against Torrey Pines 42-14 and this Friday they will be playing against La Costa Canyon away from home.