Afable’s high school experience is a tale of magnificent success

With his brilliance, Afable has established himself as a genius biology tutor.

Photo by Gigi Downey

Justin Afable’s affable smile is just as bright as his future.

Story by Jocelynn Beltran, Co-Editor in Chief

Justin Afable is one of the most ingenious Grizzlies one could ever encounter here at Mission Hills High School. As a Cardinal Scholar, Afable has maintained an unweighted 4.0 GPA every semester for all four years. He has been a member of the Academic League since his freshman year, serving as a starter and captain.

“One of my influences is Michael Butler, because he’s passionate about what he does. That passion is what inspired me to become the student I am today,” Afable said.

Similar to Butler, Afable tutors AP Biology students at lunch and after school as an ambassador for the I Am AP club, sometimes in subjects he did not take the class for.

One of my influences is Michael Butler, because he’s passionate about what he does. That passion is what inspired me to become the student I am today

— Afable said.

“At Palomar, I took precalculus and American Sign Language,” Afable said.

Afable hoped to get a leg up over the summer in order to make room in his schedule for additional classes, proving his extracurricular excellence. In the Cardinal Alliance marching band, Afable has held the title of clarinet section leader for the entirety of his high school experience. He gained the position after applying as a freshman, but he didn’t stop there; Afable took private cello lessons and participated in the Palomar orchestra.

Afable’s positive personality is exhibited through his participation both on and off campus. Hilarious and extroverted, he befriends all whom he meets. He will enter UC San Diego in the fall as a sophomore, majoring in biology and surely adding color to a sea of Tritons.