The Silvertip

Brace yourself for the overwhelming cost of a straight smile

Say goodbye to crooked teeth for the low price of a couple thousands of dollars.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Story by Brenda Camacho, Staff Writer

When flaunting smiles to friends, many forget the reality that a perfect smile often costs thousands of dollars. While the cost of braces may be high, they can potentially save money in the long run; braces often help prevent detrimental health problems and contribute to the likelihood of someone getting hired.

“I believe a smile is perfect regardless of what someone’s teeth looks like; their smile can make someone’s day when they’re feeling down,” Mohammed Hamideh (11) said.

Life is filled with laughs and smiles; it would be a shame to spend life stressing over a crooked tooth.”

Kelton Research reported that people with straight teeth are 45 percent more likely to be hired than those with crooked teeth. Because of this overwhelming reality, many view a perfect smile as something essential for their professional career. A straight smile often contributes to one’s confidence and the way they carry themselves.   

“I strongly believe that braces are worth the expense and pain because of the beautiful end product. You get straighter teeth which could make one feel better about themselves and boost their self-esteem,” Fernando Martinez (12) said.

“I think whether someone should get braces depends on if their dental health is jeopardized by their teeth and braces can solve this issue. However, if you’re getting braces for cosmetic purposes then it’s obviously not as important, unless you value nice teeth a lot,” Clarissa Le (11) said.

At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with desiring a straight smile, but realize that they are not a necessity. Learning the cost beforehand is vital when making such an important and expensive decision. Life is filled with laughs and smiles; it would be a shame to spend life stressing over a crooked tooth.

Do you believe braces are worth the cost?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
About the Contributors
Brenda Camacho, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Brenda Camacho and I am an 11th grader. I am a staff writer for the MHHS newspaper, The Silvertip. I joined Journalism because I love...

Maricruz Reyes, Centerspread Co-Editor

They call me Mari, but my name is Maricruz Reyes. I am a senior at Mission Hills High School and I am fortunate enough to say that I am a co-editor for...

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Brace yourself for the overwhelming cost of a straight smile”

1. Skyla Harding on May 2nd, 2019 2:45 pm

I can really relate with this article as I use to have very bad teeth and after braces I felt so much more confident. Looking back now I feel sorry for myself. Everyone is so beautiful whether they have crooked teeth or straight. You definitely don’t need to spend thousands of dollars on braces to make you “beautiful”. Be confident with what god gave you and the people who are meant to be in your life will think the same! Really really nice article!!

2. Sai on May 2nd, 2019 2:45 pm

I believe that braces are worth the cost as they could make you feel better about themselves and appearance’s are important for many reasons such as presentation.

3. Troy on May 3rd, 2019 9:41 am

I agree that braces are too expensive. They should be more affordable so that everyone can get them who needs them.

4. Josh Belt on May 3rd, 2019 9:42 am

I think that braces are worth the up front cost because better teeth can get you a job that you wouldn’t have gotten due to bad teeth which will make you more money then you spent on the braces. Not to mention that they can make you feel more confident with your smile which is worth the up front cost.

5. jason boyle on May 3rd, 2019 9:46 am

throughout this article i enjoyed this because with the blessing of good teeth you can so much more confident but i dont have the best teeth but its ok, but my ex girlfriend when she got her braces off was a blessing as well

6. Chloe Orozco on May 3rd, 2019 9:46 am

This article really evaluates the reason why having a nice smile can affect your future relationships, and how the high price of braces might be worth it. Although, a person should not need to have ”perfect” teeth in order to be confident in their own skin.

7. keegan fiocco on May 3rd, 2019 9:49 am

thank you for writing this, my teeth are pretty straight though but i might get braces for my moler tooth in the back

8. David Dominguez on May 3rd, 2019 9:50 am

I can relate to this because I myself used to have braces and my parents paid around 6 thousand dollars for my teeth to be straight. I mean it was well needed because my teeth were really bad but still i believe that is way to much just to straight some teeth. But it shouldn’t matter if you have straight or not straight teeth but since in this day and age everyone is judged on literally everything they do or have, we have to have straight teeth to avoid the the rude and unnecessary comments for having crooked teeth.

9. Andrea Camacho on May 9th, 2019 10:03 pm

Wow amazing article I love how you wrote this article even though you complain about YOUR braces love you sis!!!!

The Silvertip welcomes a healthy discussion of news and ideas. Please refrain from personal attacks, hate speech and profanity. Rudeness and personal attacks will not be tolerated. The Editorial Board reserves the right to disapprove any inappropriate or incoherent comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Brace yourself for the overwhelming cost of a straight smile

Opinions

Self-identified labels are helping teenagers end negative stereotypes

Opinions

Affection should not be exclusive to romantic relationships

Opinions

Overwhelming class sizes call for overwhelmed teachers

Opinions

The art of not caring

Opinions

Underage and under the influence leads to underachievement

Opinions

Student activism activates student learning everywhere

Opinions

Being in the spotlight does not entail having a perfect life

Opinions

Suicide is no joking matter in this age of social media

Opinions

A 4.0 GPA may not be all it’s cracked up to be

Opinions

The burdens and beauty of dating as a teen

The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School