The art of not caring

As teens, we live in an age with controversy and tragedy constantly flooding the news. It is important for one to stay informed, but don’t be ashamed when you have to take a step back.

Story by Mitra Zarinebaf, News Editor

Turn on the news and there is a constant feed of Donald Trump. Scroll through social media and there is ethnic cleansing in China. Read through the newspaper and there are terrorist attacks. The constant information overload can be overbearing—especially as full-time students—for attention spans and mental health. So, how can a society balance personal lives with external lives?

“I distract myself from things that become too overwhelming, like the news, by spending time with friends. Eventually, it gets easier and easier to focus certain worries on specific events. It then becomes easier to not get anxious about anything,” Aaron Thompson (10) said.

As reported by the American Psychological Association, one in 10 adults check the news every day and 20 percent check the news “constantly.” While many claim the news to be a part of their lives, it has a downside: over half of newsreaders report having stress and anxiety rooted in the daily action. With the addition of videos and social media, current events can feel more personal than ever; although being informed is significant, the connections formed with each headline can pull at one’s health.

“I don’t look at the news too often, because most of the stories I hear make me feel negative emotions. What I do to help balance myself when it gets overwhelming is take a minute to look at the situation separately from how I feel about it, or just distracting myself helps well,” Marty Winn (11) said.

Yet, at the end of the day, when the headlines begin to appear and anguish is inevitable, take a step back and breathe.

If the news only brings about negativity, should there be less attention towards it—should society just stop caring? A blissful environment would surely encompass the vacancy of news, but others may believe there should be a limit to when to start listening again. In any case, being aware is important. To be oblivious creates a calming atmosphere; yet, the lullaby-like environment could provoke ignorant ideology.

Nevertheless, a balance is necessary. Of course, humans need rest in a restless society; without it, the results of an abundance of news would be detrimental. For every news article published, worries increase. Yet, at the end of the day, when the headlines begin to appear and anguish is inevitable, take a step back and breathe. The future is unpredictable, and you are the one capable of changing the course of your worries.