The Silvertip

The art of not caring

As teens, we live in an age with controversy and tragedy constantly flooding the news. It is important for one to stay informed, but don't be ashamed when you have to take a step back.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The art of not caring

Story by Mitra Zarinebaf, News Editor

Turn on the news and there is a constant feed of Donald Trump. Scroll through social media and there is ethnic cleansing in China. Read through the newspaper and there are terrorist attacks. The constant information overload can be overbearing—especially as full-time students—for attention spans and mental health. So, how can a society balance personal lives with external lives?

“I distract myself from things that become too overwhelming, like the news, by spending time with friends. Eventually, it gets easier and easier to focus certain worries on specific events. It then becomes easier to not get anxious about anything,” Aaron Thompson (10) said.

As reported by the American Psychological Association, one in 10 adults check the news every day and 20 percent check the news “constantly.” While many claim the news to be a part of their lives, it has a downside: over half of newsreaders report having stress and anxiety rooted in the daily action. With the addition of videos and social media, current events can feel more personal than ever; although being informed is significant, the connections formed with each headline can pull at one’s health.

“I don’t look at the news too often, because most of the stories I hear make me feel negative emotions. What I do to help balance myself when it gets overwhelming is take a minute to look at the situation separately from how I feel about it, or just distracting myself helps well,” Marty Winn (11) said.

Yet, at the end of the day, when the headlines begin to appear and anguish is inevitable, take a step back and breathe.”

If the news only brings about negativity, should there be less attention towards it—should society just stop caring? A blissful environment would surely encompass the vacancy of news, but others may believe there should be a limit to when to start listening again. In any case, being aware is important. To be oblivious creates a calming atmosphere; yet, the lullaby-like environment could provoke ignorant ideology.

Nevertheless, a balance is necessary. Of course, humans need rest in a restless society; without it, the results of an abundance of news would be detrimental. For every news article published, worries increase. Yet, at the end of the day, when the headlines begin to appear and anguish is inevitable, take a step back and breathe. The future is unpredictable, and you are the one capable of changing the course of your worries.

About the Contributors
Mitra Zarinebaf, News Editor

As News Editor, it's common to see my nose up a newspaper or scrolling through the New York Times. Additionally, being a 12th grader, you can always find...

Maricruz Reyes, Centerspread Co-Editor

They call me Mari, but my name is Maricruz Reyes. I am a senior at Mission Hills High School and I am fortunate enough to say that I am a co-editor for...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “The art of not caring”

1. Thomas Marron on May 3rd, 2019 9:41 am

I thought that his article was great! I am going to stop caring about everything!

2. Mitra Zarinebaf on May 3rd, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks!

3. Adriana Javier on May 3rd, 2019 9:45 am

This article was very informative and great. Not only was I able to relate to the article, but I was also able to get advice on how to avoid becoming anxious over the news. One of my favorite articles.

4. Mitra Zarinebaf on May 3rd, 2019 1:29 pm

Thank you so much!

5. Allan Salgado on May 3rd, 2019 9:48 am

article is alright has good points to it i’m not gonna worry or care too much about the little things.

6. Mitra Zarinebaf on May 3rd, 2019 1:29 pm

Thank you!

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Self-identified labels are helping teenagers end negative stereotypes

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Affection should not be exclusive to romantic relationships

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Overwhelming class sizes call for overwhelmed teachers

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Brace yourself for the overwhelming cost of a straight smile

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Underage and under the influence leads to underachievement

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Student activism activates student learning everywhere

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Being in the spotlight does not entail having a perfect life

• The art of not caring

Opinions

Suicide is no joking matter in this age of social media

• The art of not caring

Opinions

A 4.0 GPA may not be all it’s cracked up to be

• The art of not caring

Opinions

The burdens and beauty of dating as a teen

The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School
The art of not caring