The Silvertip

Being in the spotlight does not entail having a perfect life

With the increasing popularity of social media, many are calling to question whether influencer's lives are as perfect as they appear.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Although pictures may depict a perfect person, there often lies a messy life. Everyone should celebrate the flaws and strengths they carry.

Photo by Laura Rico-Zarate

Photo by Laura Rico-Zarate

Photo by Laura Rico-Zarate

Story by Antonio Morales Leyva

In the realm of social media, it has now become remarkably easy to show the positive sides of one’s life and conceal one’s misfortunes. This is especially true for people with an audience; influencers everywhere have taken it upon themselves to showcase the fun parts of their lives while masking their struggles. This, although deceiving, has become something the public expects, rather than pushing for true authenticity.

“I think leaders have the responsibility to be positive. People will do something negative, but because they’re a public figure, it will cause a ripple effect. Since they’re in the spotlight, their decisions can be taken way out of proportion by their followers,” Estephanie Mendez (11) said.

In the fight for transparency and authenticity, society has contradicted itself by expecting influencers to hide the unappealing parts of their lives.”

In the fight for transparency and authenticity, society has contradicted itself by expecting influencers to hide the unappealing parts of their lives. Some believe that the famous have an unprecedented responsibility to be positive and outgoing, but it is unrealistic to expect this of celebrities when it can’t be expected of one’s self.

“I don’t think influencers have to be outgoing all the time at all. Yes, it’s important to be a positive figure to your audience, but everyone has bad days. Everyone suffers, and it would be illogical to expect celebrities to hide this,” Emily Luong (10) said.

Positivity is a very important characteristic needed in any influencer; however, it is also important that these influencers remain human after gaining an audience. Emotions—good or bad—are a key factor in everyone’s lives. Hiding negative emotions to an audience can portray a sense of perfection that can be dangerous for a person to strive for.

“I always see famous people on social media going to exotic places and posting about how great their lives are; they always seem to be on a high. It makes me feel like I need that to be happy too,” Katrina Do (11) said.

Platforms like YouTube and Instagram make it easy to portray a perfect life on social media. However, it raises expectations for the public, and when these expectations aren’t met, it creates the idea that one’s life is awful compared to everyone else’s. Some may even think their negative emotions are wrong, as they don’t see enough public figures expressing theirs. So, although it is important to be outgoing as a public figure, it is equally important to express the emotions that everyone feels.

About the Contributors
Antonio Morales Leyva, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Antonio Morales Leyva, and I am a staff writer for the MHHS Silvertip. As a Junior at Mission Hills High School, I like to write, draw,...

Laura Rico-Zarate, Graphics Editor

Hi, my name is Laura Rice, but you can call me Laura. I am finally a senior at Mission Hills High School. Like my height, my expectations aren’t high...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Being in the spotlight does not entail having a perfect life”

1. Paul Lichtenfeld on March 8th, 2019 8:15 am

I feel as thought the picture is well drawn, but if the misfortune was made in more detail or in less detail the picture would have more impact to the reader. With less detail the image shows how the person in the picture is ignorant of what is around them. With more detail the picture is highlighting how even though the person thinks they are happy the misfortune around them is apparent and even though they may seem happy they do not lead the perfect life.

2. Garrett Watson on March 8th, 2019 8:17 am

I really enjoyed this article. Being popular online almost encourages one to be anti-social in real life, since they have to seek out followers on Instagram rather than friends in real life.

• Being in the spotlight does not entail having a perfect life

Opinions

Self-identified labels are helping teenagers end negative stereotypes

Opinions

Affection should not be exclusive to romantic relationships

Opinions

Overwhelming class sizes call for overwhelmed teachers

Opinions

Brace yourself for the overwhelming cost of a straight smile

Opinions

The art of not caring

Opinions

Underage and under the influence leads to underachievement

Opinions

Student activism activates student learning everywhere

Opinions

Suicide is no joking matter in this age of social media

Opinions

A 4.0 GPA may not be all it’s cracked up to be

Opinions

The burdens and beauty of dating as a teen

The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School