The Silvertip

A 4.0 GPA may not be all it’s cracked up to be

With the vast majority of students taking at least one AP class, the pressure for a GPA of 4.0 or above has increased.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Many students view a 4.0 GPA as an exceptional goal. Others view it as an underachievement.

Photo by Maricruz Reyes

Photo by Maricruz Reyes

Photo by Maricruz Reyes

Story by Antonio Morales Leyva, Staff Writer

In the typical classroom, students are exposed to a competitive learning environment where one’s GPA (grade point average) is placed on oneself for the sole purpose of numerically comparing a student’s intellectual value to their peers’. When the time of applying for college arrives, this number becomes a tremendous deciding factor between whether a student is accepted into a top university or not; so in turn, it becomes difficult for a student to understand the standards by which one needs to judge oneself.

If I had a 4.0, it would mean I have four B’s and that would not be acceptable. When you’re trying to get into a top college, they’re looking for students with exceptional GPA’s such as a 4.5. ”

— Adam Schwab (11)

“A large part of the reason why I enrolled in AP classes in the first place was specifically to be able to achieve higher than a 4.0. I don’t think having a 4.0 is terrible in the slightest, but if I had the opportunity to go beyond that as presented by AP courses, and I wasn’t able to achieve it, it would be very unsatisfying for me,” Zander Vilaysane (10) said

In a school where a 4.0 is the standard GPA given to a student with straight A’s, weighted courses begin to cloud and disrupt the notion that a 4.0 is a success.

“If I had a 4.0, it would mean I have four B’s and that would not be acceptable. When you’re trying to get into a top college, they’re looking for students with exceptional GPA’s such as a 4.5. So to me, a 4.0 is not all that good anymore,” Adam Schwab (11) said.  

However, for some a 4.0 GPA is merely a dream. For those not in AP classes, a 4.0 is equivalent to straight A’s; it’s a perfect transcript unlike those who are enrolled in weighted classes.

“For someone whose schedule doesn’t consist of mostly weighted classes, it’s an achievement to get a 4.0, because it’s difficult to earn straight A’s. If you have straight A’s, it’s seen as an accomplishment, and it makes you feel good about yourself. A 4.0 is a 4.0. A 4.8 is very impressive, but if you have a 4.0, you’re still pretty smart,” Guadalupe Sebastian Camacho (11) said.

Since student’s schedules tend to vary, a GPA is very subjective and individualistic. Standards by which each student judges oneself and one’s performance should not be compared to everyone else. Considering everyone is different in the number of weighted classes they take, it would be unfair to compare oneself to another’s standards.

About the Contributors
Antonio Morales Leyva, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Antonio Morales Leyva, and I am a staff writer for the MHHS Silvertip. As a Junior at Mission Hills High School, I like to write, draw,...

Maricruz Reyes, Centerspread Co-Editor

They call me Mari, but my name is Maricruz Reyes. I am a senior at Mission Hills High School and I am fortunate enough to say that I am a co-editor for...

1 Comment

One Response to “A 4.0 GPA may not be all it’s cracked up to be”

1. Lydia Nguyen on March 4th, 2019 8:29 am

A 4.0 in today’s society has greatly lost its significance and pressures students to go beyond excellence. It greatly causes pressure for students to be the “best of the best” and creates an unhealthy competitions for themselves and others.

• A 4.0 GPA may not be all it’s cracked up to be

Opinions

Self-identified labels are helping teenagers end negative stereotypes

Opinions

Affection should not be exclusive to romantic relationships

Opinions

Overwhelming class sizes call for overwhelmed teachers

Opinions

Brace yourself for the overwhelming cost of a straight smile

Opinions

The art of not caring

Opinions

Underage and under the influence leads to underachievement

Opinions

Student activism activates student learning everywhere

Opinions

Being in the spotlight does not entail having a perfect life

Opinions

Suicide is no joking matter in this age of social media

Opinions

The burdens and beauty of dating as a teen

The Student News Site of Mission Hills High School