The San Marcos Promise commits to advancing young adults’ education

Photo by Sara Brant from GoBeRewarded Marketing Agency

The Future Fair, an event funded by the San Marcos Promise, allowed students to connect to various colleges.

Young adults today are expected to know exactly what they plan to do in the future and meeting these expectations becomes all the more difficult without the proper resources and mentorship. Students need the support of mentors to become motivated to pursue their desired career paths and The San Marcos Promise is a non-profit organization that is committed to just that.
“The San Marcos Promise has encouraged my passion to help my community, especially those with a similar background as me. This program is one of a kind because it enlightens students to possibilities they believe they were not capable of. It teaches students long lasting skills that will one day serve as a stepping stone for their career journey,” said Diego Gonzalez, San Marcos Promise college Ambassador.
The San Marcos Promise, founded in 2014, is a for-impact educational foundation. They focus on ensuring students are aware of their career options. They provide students with the resources they need to become confident in their post-high school plans and ensure that they are abundant.
“Our services are personal. We don’t want students to choose a future plan based on what their parents want or what their friends choose. Each student is unique and our services help students figure out their unique path. I wish so badly that there had been something like the Future Centers when I was in High School,” said Sara Montooth, The San Marcos Promises’ Programs Coordinator.
Most notably, The San Marcos Promise through donations from Dr. Kevin Holt, has funded the Future Centers seen at Mission Hills, San Marcos, and Twin Oaks High School campuses. The Future Center offers a multitude of services to students some of which include ACT/SAT Registration, study guides, fee waivers, scholarship opportunities, work permits, computers/printing access to jobs and community service. Students have the chance to receive one-on-one mentorships that range from mock interviews to resume building and to even knowing proper work attire. Students can even borrow clothes from the Career Closet that has a multitude of professional outfits available to students for free. The Future Center also hosts a variety of events that range from college representative visits, college workshops, the future fair and college signing day event.
“I love how [the Future Center] provides us with professional business clothes if we don’t have any and that we can keep them after! It really helps us out for those who can’t afford or don’t have time to get necessary things,” senior Taylin Jimenez said.
Support and confidence is all a student needs to thrive and in having such personalized services available to students, The San Marcos Promise has strengthened its commitment towards ensuring students are in an environment that is welcoming of all students’ aspirations.