We should advise a different approach to the recently added advisory period

While advisory was initially meant to support students during this isolating time, many have found it as just an extra to their overwhelming schedules.

Photo by Sophia Novelo

Already exhausted, students prepare for the new addition to their schedule.

The newest addition to students schedules, advisory, may just be the most disliked class in school history, and for good reasons too. The administrative staff organized advisory to hopefully assist students academically and emotionally, but frankly, the class seems to be an unnecessary period that doesn’t have a clear purpose. This class would be an opportunity for students to receive help for their school work, or receive emotional help, but most students don’t want it in the form of the advisory period.
“Personally, I would rather take those thirty minutes out of the school day so we could get out a bit earlier because I’m kinda drained by 3:40 p.m. I do think that the tutoring aspect of advisory is quite useful and if you want to take a break/ have a longer lunch, it’s nice, but the school day is way too long in my opinion and I know a lot of my friends think that too. We don’t have all the time in the world, contrary to popular belief,” Sage Taylor said (10).
In addition to the concerns about having an extra class, students also have an issue with how they are placed in the classes alphabetically, regardless of the grade level they are in.
“I do not want to be in a class with my sister who is a freshman,” Christopher Villa (12) said. Over these past few weeks, most students have been sitting inside, in front of a computer screen for over six hours a day. Students are concerned about their health because of the extensive screen time, and rightfully so.
“I think that being in front of a computer screen for x amount of hours already puts a sense of fatigue on our bodies. Adding a mandatory advisory adds on screen time that isn’t needed,” Nayeli Hernandez (12) said.
The majority of students have legitimate issues with advisory, while others are more optimistic about the class.
“I loved it — Had a great time! My favorite part was ONETv,” Ricky Williams (12) said.
ONETv is definitely a major appeal of advisory, while also being deemed as the only real appeal to the period due to it being a chance to get involved in the school the entertainment value that it holds. However, do these 8-10 minute videos really issue a 30 minute class period? It does seem quite excessive.
While the advisory program has some beneficial qualities to a student’s school day, it is still considered an unnecessary class added on to an already draining schedule. Also, as said before, the increased time a student spends on the computer can potentially be harmful to the student’s physical well being. Turning it into a program that helps students discover what they might want to do outside of high school, helping them figure out colleges that will be best for them, or even just shortening the class to ten minutes as opposed to thirty are all simple changes that would likely improve the rate of approval of advisory.
Overall, COVID-19 has sparked a very strange time in our high school lives and the administration is still striving to give their students a fulfilling education. With that in mind, a student’s well-being should not be ignored. There are so many different directions the administration could take, regarding advisory. The advisory period may be largely disagreed with, however there is hope that it can be improved for the betterment of all students.