Andrea Rotheram’s humility carries her through high school and beyond

Photo by Nicole Rotheram

Andrea Rotheram poses with one of her greatest masterpieces.

Story by Antonio Morales Leyva, Opinions Editor

While she may describe herself as just another high school student, Andrea Rotheram (12) is well known for being one of the most kind-hearted and creative students at Mission Hills High School. Her unparalleled devotion and admirable character have caused her to gain a reputation for her silly personality and immense involvement within her community.

Numerous visits to the San Diego Zoo and countless pets later, Rotheram’s passion for animals has always been her motivation as she pursues a career in zoology. While her distinctive interest hasn’t translated well in traditional high school courses, Rotheram has not let this keep her from exploring many of her other interests both in and out of school.

“I’m a leader in FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), I’ve been part of the dance program for three years, and I’ve been in some of the theater shows at the school: Miracle Worker (Helen Keller), Pride and Prejudice (Charlotte Lucas), and I’ve been ensemble for American Idiot and the Carrie musical. I also worked backstage for the Schoolhouse rock,” Rotheram said.

Though her dream occupation is to care for animals, Rotheram has a plethora of other interests like dance, art, acting, singing, and swimming. She may not consider herself to be the next Picasso or the next huge pop star, but self-improvement has always been important to her.

“I’m always trying to improve myself, especially when it comes to drawing and working on different media, but I normally practice my hobbies for my own pleasure rather than for others’ viewing,” Rotheram said.

Throughout her high school career, Rotheram’s deep value for friendship has helped her remain close with her friends from previous schools, and as she prepares to head off to college, she doesn’t anticipate the loss of any of these close relationships.

“Andrea is one of my closest friends for many reasons. She’s extremely nice to anyone she knows and meets. She is the most talented, hard-working, and patient person I know. She’s been a part of the drama program for the past three years. I can tell that she dedicates her time to perfect anything she does. She takes the time to practice her lines, stays after school for an additional three to four hours to rehearse,  and is able to be on top of her academic work- and I have never heard her complain about it,” Cecilia Ngyuen (12) said.